The Settlers: New Allies (February 2023)

I am lost, what exactly looks wonderful? There is almost no information and just a quick graphic of a painting.

The picture lol.

At least as far as I am concerned, the explicit repudiation of the direction of recent Settlers and the deliberate evocation of classic Settlers. Sure, the execution may turn out badly, but at least someone’s trying to do it, and that someone seems pretty well placed for it.

That does sound great. I thought @jpinard had found something that was more in-depth than that article. I was disappointed by the lack of even a screenshot.

It’s not even going to be in EA until the end of the year (assuming they’re on time), so they probably don’t have anything to show.

In my book, then don’t announce it.

I suspect it’s not unrelated to the imminent launch of the new Settlers.

Hahahahahahahaha. No.

Yea, no way am I touching this without a bunch of very positive reviews.

Pioneers of Pagonia FAQ:

Probably makes sense for it to have its own thread at this point.

Is 7 the one that was kind of a PVP battler? I remember really liking the systems, but the fact that it was all set up for PVP ruined it for me.

I also vaguely remember the weirdo DRM, with random disconnects and stuff.

7 is the board-gamey one with the map divided into specific sectors I suppose you could describe it as set up for PvP, but I only ever played it single player. It’s the best of the modern games by a long shot. Sadly my copy is lost to Ubisoft fuckery.

Yeah, it has to have been 7. Reading up on it now, I remember those server woes. I should revisit it!

7 was great. No idea how it held up for multiplayer. Ubisoft/Uplay was by far the worst part about it.

I feel like giving that another run actually…

Oh boy, so in spite of having Steam and Uplay running, I still had to install Ubisofts old keylogger or whatever

zoinks

Then I spent a few minutes arguing with the game over which resolution I wanted. I kept saying, very specifically, that I wanted 1920x1080 in 16:9, but the game had a better idea

Okay be that way, Settlers 7. I’ll just go play something else.

Per a Steam review:

I played the full campaign of the updated settlers 7 History Edition last year. It was great and I had no problems getting it to run. Campaign gets tough with fending off multiple enemies and working through your build order. Good balance of research, logistics, battling, and building. History Edition can usually be had for cheap and says it has updates for modern OS and graphics.

I might go for something like that with a game I really love, but I tend to just get mad when companies punish me for buying their games around launch.

The .ini thing worked, but it feels kinda crappy when companies don’t support their games. I don’t want to reward them for it with actual money if I can avoid it.

I haven’t played it enough to really say yet, but I recall this being part of what killed it for me the first time. It felt like it was set up for multiplayer.

There are two things I really want in a builder, one is getting to solve problems and be creative with my own designs, and the other is the ant-farm aspect that lets me sit back and admire what I’ve built.

Stuff like Anno gets in the way of it too. I’m too busy trying to optimize to actually have fun with it. Probably just horses for courses.

Today is the day! Waiting for reviews, and someone else on Qt3 to give impressions. :)

Also I wonder what the in game currency is for? Cosmetic crap I guess?

2-17-2023 7-02-54 AM

FYI, it’s launching thru the Ubisoft store and Epic, so no Steam version for now. Price is $60 for regular and $70 for deluxe version.