The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

That IS the awesome i’m after good sir!

and based on the post by Balasarius ( i will admit to not having heard of ‘gravitational lensing’ before):

‘Moon formation: New spins put on old questions’:

Space Rip is a you tube channel that puts out consistent high quality space videos. Here’s a recent one explaining the martian atmosphere, and I recommend checking out their other videos if you like space.

Nice.

I put this link here as a tongue-in-cheek nod to my gamer heritage, but it does discuss quantum mechanics (in my defence).

Engineers at Disney recreate moments from the animated film Beauty and the Beast, in the real world.

Science supports my dislike of crowds!

Well that explains Congress.

Just a picture, of two galaxies colliding:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-20003649

Time-lapse video of the space shuttle moving through Los Angeles – an engineering feat in and of itself:

Interesting story behind the math that made Voyager possible.

That’s pretty awesome.

I have been scanning data from the Keplar spacecraft looking for possible exo planets, and helping to classify stars. Its one of many crowd sourced science projects, that require a human’s superior pattern recognition to that of a computer.

A quick tutorial and your into the data looking for transits.
https://www.zooniverse.org/project/planethunters

Lots of other projects to participate in if planet hunting is not your thing@

Awesome. Thanks for contributing to the search for Earth-like exoplanets!

Ah yes, i’ve been doing some of that ‘Planet hunting’ also. Its really easy to set up and get going too. Well worth a look by most folks, and they have already found an exo-planet:

(If we didn’t cover that already?)

Gotta try some planet spotting. Thanks, Mr.GRIM.

My God, It’s Full of Stars, aka, a 9-billion pixel image of the Milky Way’s core. Resolution is 108,500 x 81,500 pixels. There are at least 84 million stars identified.

I once spent significant time* reading about gravitational lensing, redshift, and “dark flow.” (You’ll have to take my word on that one.) And finally it pays off, thanks to xkcd.

• Like a month or two. I did not tell my advisor.

The world’s largest solar thermal farm (in progress). When I was lighting stuff on fire with a magnifying glass, this is what I really wanted.

We’ve got weather satellites for Saturn.

NASA scientists using the Cassini spacecraft have witnessed a rare massive storm on Saturn that was so violent it sent the temperature in the planet’s stratosphere soaring to 150 degrees Fahrenheit above normal.

Also, even planets get indigestion.

Another thing that happened during the aftermath of the storm is that Saturn “burped” a great amount of ethylene gas.

Possible Bubbles of Spacetime Curvature in the South Pacific

In 1928, the late Francis Wayland Thurston published a scandalous manuscript in purport of warning the world of a global conspiracy of occultists. Among the documents he gathered to support his thesis was the personal account of a sailor by the name of Gustaf Johansen, describing an encounter with an extraordinary island.

We propose a simplified example of such a geometry, and show using numerical computation that Johansen`s descriptions were, for the most part, not simply the ravings of a lunatic. Rather, they are the nontechnical observations of an intelligent man who did not understand how to describe what he was seeing. Conversely, it seems to us improbable that Johansen should have unwittingly given such a precise description of the consequences of spacetime curvature, if the details of this story were merely the dregs of some half remembered fever dream.
We calculate the type of matter which would be required to generate such exotic spacetime curvature. Unfortunately, we determine that the required matter is quite unphysical, and possess a nature which is entirely alien to all of the experiences of human science. Indeed, any civilization with mastery over such matter would be able to construct warp drives, cloaking devices, and other exotic geometries required to conveniently travel through the cosmos.