The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

If you guys think a re-purposed virus in our DNA is interesting, you might be just as interested to know that roughly 8% of the human genome are from viruses (though most of them non-functional). In comparison, about 1% of our genome is coding (the parts that are turned into proteins.)

Some of these regions come from families of viruses that are very similar, leading to regions of the genome that are close to identical, which leads to copying errors where chunks of the genome are duplicated or deleted.

Yeah, no. [Edit: actual proof]

Interpretation
Past exposure to vaccines against diphtheria or tetanus, poliomyelitis and influenza may protect against subsequent development of Alzheimer’s disease.

Brilliant, and yet so seemingly simple. I guess the best ideas often are.

Is there some further downstream effect from this as well? Doesn’t the addition of vegetation further condition the sand so deeper layers become a bit more like soil, and the plant roots further help with water retention in the area? I could imagine this not just as a bandaid to help a region, but a change that might help revitalize a region.

On top of that, having a layer of green plants instead of bare sand would add additional carbon fixation, and also cool down the area. Cool article I just found on how plants change the local climate:

Hey, what are you looking at?

Clearly they’ve prototyped this off of my wife.

Luckily, it seems to be economically viable. Which is a pretty rare thing to happen.

I think your wife and mine might be related. Laser eyes? Yeah that sounds right.

The arm touchscreen watch. I’m waiting for the Rolex model.

I’m guessing that the more… hirsute among us would be SOL.

“The resolution of this arm is terrible!”

In the dystopian future, you’ll be able to tell who uses the megacorp wrist computers by the little shaved patches on their forearms.

Well that or that they sharpen knives and test them on their forearms. Be careful who you piss off. Are they a nerd or a knife fighter?

Seems to be the season for inventions out of scifi. Here’s the cloaking device:

Mandatory clip from the episode in which it was introduced. The cloaking device is first discussed around the 6:15 mark.

Huh, that would make nuclear torpedoes aimed at our coastal cities much more effective!

Yeah, we’re d0med!

Facebook science page “We Love GMOs and Vaccines”

I kinda hope they find some crazy DNA in the loch. But I doubt it’ll hurt the tourism any no matter what is reported.

What is even the point of this test? If they do not find any DNA, they will still keep looking.

I think what really needs to be done is to dam up the lock and drain out all the water, and film it all so they prove there is no fucking monster and end all this speculation once and for all.

I believe you are missing the essential point of ‘hunting’ for Nessie.