The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

Yeah, I sincerely doubt that the Loch Ness Hotel Association (or whatever local business groups they have) have any interest in disproving Nessie.

I suspect the main purpose is actually the invasive species, but pitching the Nessie bit helps with the funding.

Random aside; it’s a gorgeous area and worth a visit should anyone ever be in the vicinity.

Regardless of what they find people will just say those are the wrong samples.

I’ll sign up for this!

WOW!

That’s a great story! I hope that in 20 years’ time breast cancer will only be thought of as annoying… because you have to do a biopsy for the treatment. And that the kids a few generations from now will titter at the very thought of cancer, just as we might think of those poor saps a few hundred years ago, high and low classes alike, suffering from something as easily treatable (nowadays) as the French Pox. This could be a real breakthrough for long term space habitation, too, if the space-doctors have access to this, and if it can be an effective treatment for other forms of tumors and cancer.

Sure, sure, it wouldn’t do to get too excited at this point. That’s a very promising story, though.

I wonder if the doctors expect even a chance of cancer remission in that test subject. Bring on the clinical trials, and if it passes those, make the process cheap and easily available!

Probably could put this in any number of threads, so I’ll just drop it here:

Electric taking off.

Sad science news
https://www.npr.org/2018/06/21/622160278/koko-the-gorilla-dies-redrew-the-lines-of-animal-human-communication

It seems as though really being able to tweak and deeply understand the immune system be key to a whole host of treatments. So many diseases come down to the immune system being overly aggressive or not aggressive enough.

I suppose it’s mostly engineering but I like the science thread. If this thing really makes good burgers, I want a home version.

More qbits! Chinese scientists have entangled 18, setting the world record. The prior record was 10. And they’re planning a big step next, aiming to get to 50.

Accurate models are a serious help in shaping environmental policy. Hopefully this can be replicated world-wide.

Still early days on this research, and there’s plenty of caveats that are mentioned near the end of the article. But still, a potential tool in the cancer war is always good news!

Sure, that sounds impressive, but how many elephants do you know who smoke?

About 90,000 years ago, a young girl lived in the Altai Mountains, a remote range located in what is now Russia. She died when she was only 13 years old, and her bones were piled up in a cave. Those bones revealed she was the child of an unconventional couple: two now-extinct hominins, a Neanderthal and a Denisovan.

How do they know they weren’t married?

Because Neanderthal priests wouldn’t preside over mixed marriages.