The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

I suppose it’s mostly engineering but I like the science thread. If this thing really makes good burgers, I want a home version.

More qbits! Chinese scientists have entangled 18, setting the world record. The prior record was 10. And they’re planning a big step next, aiming to get to 50.

Accurate models are a serious help in shaping environmental policy. Hopefully this can be replicated world-wide.

Still early days on this research, and there’s plenty of caveats that are mentioned near the end of the article. But still, a potential tool in the cancer war is always good news!

Sure, that sounds impressive, but how many elephants do you know who smoke?

About 90,000 years ago, a young girl lived in the Altai Mountains, a remote range located in what is now Russia. She died when she was only 13 years old, and her bones were piled up in a cave. Those bones revealed she was the child of an unconventional couple: two now-extinct hominins, a Neanderthal and a Denisovan.

How do they know they weren’t married?

Because Neanderthal priests wouldn’t preside over mixed marriages.

That is such a fantastic article. The grad student involved in this has to be floating on cloud 9 being at the cusp of this research. The thing that’s amazing is this research on elephant anti-cancer (along with sharks) has been going on for 25 years. Long time to get to this point.

Progress!

This looks like a great opportunity to find things that will be useful on Earth as well as in terraforming Mars someday.

Don’t plants do that on a regular basis?

?thats the joke?

This is so awesome!

Yup, just controlling a killer drone swarm with my brain.

Octopuses get loved up on MDMA