The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

This isn’t that different than photolithography, which they use to make tiny silicon chips from larger templates, except its used to make 3d structures.

Good for rice yields, particularly hardy varieties that can grow despite pests and non-optimal temperatures.

This will be key in the near future.

Seems like new developments are coming pretty quickly now. Neat stuff.

Wondering if we need an AI thread, but this AI playing the professor is fascinating :

Just another example of how you want to be VERY careful when setting up your loss functions. As AI becomes more sophisticated the networks will be able cheat in mind-boggling ways.

This is extremely exciting.

Were the crop failures at the beginning of Interstellar caused by GMOs gone haywire? I’m not sure this was addressed directly.

Why do articles keep getting stuff so incredibly wrong? I’ve seen this statement written multiple times about Germany closing its last coal mine, but nothing could be further from the truth. Come on Ars…

even shutting down its last coal mine in November

reality:

It’s very sloppy, but you can see how it happened - deep mines vs open-cast. From the Bloomberg article that the Ars piece links and presumably sourced the info from:

Later on, however…

Ironically lignite is the dirtiest and least efficient of all the coals.

Yep. Low energy and high carbon.

Blue lava! (well kinda)

Thanks for posting that! It reminds me of one of my favorite sci fi books:

Just like Jeb Bush.

Rotating ice disk in the Penobscot River in Maine:

Would be so wonderful if this works out.

There are species that rely on mosquitoes as their primary source of nourishment. Do you want these species to go extinct as well?

There are studies from mosquito extermination attempts (for malarria control, etc) that suggest that mosquitoes don’t have any unique niche as prey animals. I.e. that another species (presumably one less troublesome for humans) would expand to fill all extant niches as the mosquitoes died.

It’s theory, of course, which is why people are slow-rolling genetic extermination efforts (e.g. releasing sterilized males or ones who have non-reproductive offspring), but the work is being done.