The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

They will not offer a complete cure for cancer in a year’s time. Clinical trials don’t work that way. Especially in oncology, where long-term effectiveness–over years–must be shown before a therapy is considered a cure.

Their technology and approach may be promising–I have no idea–but it is deeply irresponsible of the company to promote it in this way.

0 Likes

Yeah. At the very end of the article, they finally say they haven’t even done phase one clinical trials yet.

0 Likes

This is interesting tech they are working on. Basically an anti-biotic for cancer, and it is something that can be used both in a targeted sense, and universally.

It attacks certain peptide chains in cancer cells, so it won’t (hopefully) target healthy cells. It sounds like they are unsure of the ability of this method to completely eradicate a cancer, as the stem cells can be more resistant to treatments, but they envision this cancer treatment as working similar to the current HIV/AIDS management plan.

You can have cancer, but take maintainence drugs to prevent the cancer from growing and spreading, at the very least it would extend the lives of cancer patients with (hopefully) minimal side effects.

But, the real dream is the customization

The MuTaTo cancer treatment will eventually be personalized. Each patient will provide a piece of his biopsy to the lab, which would then analyze it to know which receptors are overexpressed. The individual would then be administered exactly the molecule cocktail needed to cure his disease.
However, unlike in the case of AIDS, where patients must take the cocktail throughout their lives, in the case of MuTaTo, the cells would be killed, and the patient could likely stop treatment after only a few weeks.

0 Likes

Yep. It’s an exciting development, but it looks like they only hope to begin human trials within a year or so. Here’s hoping!

0 Likes

Because laser cats are AWESOME!

0 Likes

0 Likes

0 Likes

And I guess I’ll add this - h/t Bill Harris/dubious quality:

0 Likes

For something they snuck in the headline, they devoted an entire 2 sentences to this aspect!

I live in the UK, which means, outside of summer, I’d probably have to spend my entire life outdoors to get any useful UV from the sun :’(

0 Likes

What is this thing you call a ‘sun’?

0 Likes

photodynamic therapy

0 Likes

0 Likes

Wow. Proteins and enzymes at work. It looks mechanical:

0 Likes

Plasmatic grapes!

0 Likes

Looks like the animations from inner life of a cell.

0 Likes

I wish cameras could be made that small.

0 Likes

That would really make my job a lot easier. All I do now is inference inference inference! I’d prefer to just look and SEE what is going on.

0 Likes

This is cool.

Researchers watched in real time as a single-celled algae evolved into a multicellular organism. The transition took place over the course of 50 weeks and was caused simply by the introduction of a predator to the environment.

Edit: An author on the paper was posting on the topic at reddit. Here’s his ELI5 answer to a question on what this finding means:

dragonite_myFriendxx

Life is pretty good as a single celled organism. You can feed yourself fairly easily and you can reproduce really fast. Some people wonder why unicells would evolve to be multicelled in the first place. Why isnt the world just full of single celled organisms? This study shows that predatory pressure is a sufficient reason to become multicellular, because by being bigger, you can avoid being eaten. A similar situation may or may not have played out in nature millions of years ago

0 Likes

Woah that’s awesome. I wonder if I can simulate this in Cell Lab

0 Likes

Makes me wonder if schools of fish can be considered a multi-individual organism. I guess in order for this to be the case, different individuals would need to play different biological roles. (Portuguese man o’ war is a better example come to think of it. Never mind.)

0 Likes