The 'show why science is awesome' thread:

Holy cow, that looks awesome. I want to see heat! But I can’t also help thinking what could possibly go wrong…

It’s right up on that real science-mad science border.

That said, if I were working in that lab, after it worked for the mice and didn’t blind them, I probably would have snuck an injection for myself. Maybe only one eye, just in case.

Gee, I wonder if the military is paying any attention?

Join the Army - see the world in near-infrared!

Your wish is my command.

You can see infrared light by looking directly at the sun, right? Or is that just my retina burning?

This article is simply amazing:

First hours of the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event captured in the fossil record.

If the teaser is somehow not enough to get you to click, here’s part of the caption of the title photograph:

Of his discovery, DePalma said, “It’s like finding the Holy Grail clutched in the bony fingers of Jimmy Hoffa, sitting on top of the Lost Ark.”

Holy crap that was an awesome read. Thanks for posting it!

I’m always a bit leery of pre-publication reports, but hoo boy do I want this to stand up.

A reasonable position.

That said, even if the conclusions are wrong, that’s still a fantastic discovery. His discovery would still be one of the most important of the last 50 years, rather than ‘his name will be in textbooks for the next century’

Well, that’s assuming the discoveries are what he (and presumably his co-authors) say they are. There’s a lot of room for interpretation even in the basics, and him keeping oversight of the sites and labs etc is a bit of a red flag. But I really hope my skepticism is unfounded.

My sister excitedly told me about this too. She found the whole thing fascinating. I have not looked yet.

Wow gonna have to read that when I have more time.

Science has confirmed that your cat is ignoring you.

Is there a study about cats intentionally walking between your feet when you’re trying to stand up/move around?

They like to test your worthiness on a regular basis. If you are not worthy, you will fall and break your neck, problem solved.

Luckily, I’ve only stepped on my cat’s tail in the dark a few times and not something of more vital importance like a rib cage. I should really put some LEDs on his collar.

Me: Here kitty kitty, here Splat, here kitty kitty
Cat:

idontcare

Oh this is so cool. Sign me up!

I know it’s from a few weeks ago: But do you have a source for this image?

edit: Aha, a “related video” to the one @Timex suggested is this:

which cribs from this:

from 2011!