The Startup Party - US election system change

We’ve discussed (at length, in multiple places) how the current US election system has its flaws. Looks like we aren’t the only ones who think so. This Freakonomics post led me to:

Startup Party USA

Tired of only voting for a party duopoly? Join the Startup Party USA to change our elections away from duopolist rule. Startups aren’t just for monetary profit. The Startup Party USA intends to be the first 3+ political party in the United States. A 3+ political party is one with the primary mission of reforming voting rules so that even more parties have an equal and fair chance at winning elections. To accomplish this, we must first eliminate winner-take-all or “first past the post” voting everywhere in the USA.

I like the idea. They don’t have a snowball’s chance in hell as things stand, of course, but you have to start somewhere.

Ugh, Parliamentary-style voting-block systems? No thanks. Things may be f-ed up here, but it’s not like European countries have it figured out.

Things get down in European Style electoral systems, and by allowing multiple parties to form a coalition, you get a more refined idea of what the nation as a whole wants. To use the dutch as an example, a coalition made up of D66 and greens would be a very left wing government with an emphasis on environment and education, while the Christian Party with the Labor party would be more gear to economics of a moderate nature. I like it.

Why wasn’t this on Kickstarter?

That would be hilariously awesome.

I’d love to hear the pitch.

Look at Germany’s system.