The State of the Marvel-verse and Blockbuster Movies

You have years of Marvel books to draw from as well as known quantities in the actors that have already played these characters in film. I’m not sure why you couldn’t go telling people “Hey, clear your schedule for 2025 if you want to make a boatload of money” and have your writers working on the script at the same time?

Based on the what we know about the process, it’s pretty clear what we’re gonna get out of this Avengers movie: a giant action montage of the main characters, who are chasing someone or fighting someone, teleporting from place to place (or time to time, or multiverse world to multiverse world) only to run into other MCU characters at every turn. High-octane cameo hilarity ensues. I’m sure there are platoons of crack Disney quipmasters already working overtime to come up with ways to use the line, “Well, that just happened” without actually using those words.

In fairness, that would be a version of a time-honored superhero tradition, a port of the same kind of trope in the big crossover event comics with huge splash pages of dozens of characters all posed to look cool, but not advancing the story one iota. It’s just part of the superhero tradition I’ve never been especially interested in. Crossovers where characters meaningfully interact can be great, but crossovers based on blink-and-you’ll-miss-them cameos with no interaction beyond a quip or two do nothing for me these days. See Dr. Strange 2.

Bear in mind a bunch of these actors are still under contracts that say essentially, “X main roles, plus Y cameos.” Plus there are others, like Sam Jackson, who are known to be easy hires. So it’s less needing to wait on “recruiting” and more just going through the notes in advance to see who’s a certainty and who’s iffy. And, as I said above, I’m willing to bet the script will be structured so the cameos are super modular. So if they can’t get Downey/Evans/Hemsworth back for a time-travel encounter, they just toss those four pages and reconfigure it so we encounter, I dunno, the TV Defenders instead. (Again, see Dr. Strange 2.)

It seems a bit odd with so many big budget tentpole movies struggling to make back their cost that they want to do what would be (I’m guessing) an even bigger budget movie.

Maybe the spirit of Cost Less 10%, Make It Up In Volume compels them.

And Blade has lost another director

Looks.like some movies can have good box office.

Yeah, after people were trying to make out $56 million for Bad Boys 4 as some sort of box office triumph last week, it really seemed like traditional big summer numbers were truly a thing of the past. But $155 million is a legit impressive number for Inside Out 2. Movies are back, baby! (Until the next flop.)

The problem is that the industry needs these to be the norm, not the exception.

91% / 96%. If they make a good movie, people will go see it! Crazy concept, I know. It’s extreme OOTB thinking for studios.

The industry can fuck itself. It’s clear that if the entertainment is good or appealing it will sell. The problem is they shovel shit at you and when customers don’t like it they bitch and moan the industry can’t make money.

If true, there’s almost no way this movie will be successful.

Why are they using Hulk villains?

All these retoolings and delays remind me of Daikatana.

Back in December, Matthew Orton was hired by Marvel to pen “additional scenes and material”. Orton’s work is being shot in this latest 4-month bout of additional photography, taking place in Atlanta. They’ve also added new characters to the story. It’s all amounting to what could be a catastrophic disaster for the mouse house. Will audiences even show up to a Captain America movie that doesn’t star Chris Evans?

“Additional scenes and material” is something you do in a week. Four months is what you do to shoot an entire movie.

It’s absolutely wild how they’re letting this budget careen wildly out of control. Wasn’t the primary lesson of 2023 that budgets need to be reined in?

Maybe Marvel’s next project will be Beyond Good & Evil 2.

I will not abide this Superfly Johnson slander.

Well, well, well…

After 19 days of release, the animated sequel has grossed $469.3 million in North America and $545.5 million internationally for a worldwide tally of $1.015 billion. It’s one of 11 animated films to join the billion-dollar club (eight of which are Disney titles), and it’s the fastest animated release to do so.

God, yes, cast a bunch of nobodies, go full practical effect, and shoot it like that. I’d buy that ticket.