The Stephen King Ka-Tet Thread

Thanks for the replies. I’ll start on The Gunslinger when I get a chance and see how it goes!

The description of Roland’s youth and training that takes place in the Gunslinger is just awesome.

Just finished Revival and holy shit, I forgot just how fucked up that story becomes by the very end. Yowza!

I’ve been meaning to reread that one. I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

That’s me as well, you are not alone. I read and … sit down for this, even re-read The Stand, uncut. Excellent book. King does characters so well and it was a book of so many along the way.

I used to read so much but the time now just seems like I’m taking away from something just to sit and enjoy a good read. It’s sad but probably a reflection of life in some way. Here we are essentially locked in and I can’t find the time to read a book.

And yet, how can you not see everything we’re going through and think to the end state that The Stand represented?

I should read the Dark Tower series.

First trailer.

Whoopie Goldberg. It’s like she was born to play that character.

She already appears on this list once for Ghost.

Guinan belongs there.

That might as well be called the Morgan Freeman list.

Yeah. That was my first take.

Guinan might be a “numinous Negro” which is a separate category according to that article.

Well, Morgan Freeman’s turn as God in the Poopy Almighty movies are listed in the wiki.

Tommyknockers was what broke me loose as well, but I came back and was glad to do so. He had a bad stretch (Dreamcatcher anyone?) but found his niche again. I was hyperKing in the 80s, to where I was pestering the librarian to find The Dark Tower when it barely existed. (You damned kids, it was an effort to even KNOW about The Dark Tower back then).

He just has great internal dialogue, really clean writing, often iffy plotting, but I enjoy his writing thoroughly.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed.

I don’t even know if that is accurate, but it’s a phenomenal opener.

The Stand 2020 version starts tomorrow on CBS All Access.

I don’t understand the title of this thread.

Ka - tet is a term in High Speech for a group of people drawn together by ka for a purpose. The gunslinger Roland Deschain describes ka - tet as being “one from many.” Susannah Holmes derives an even simpler definition of the term: it is the notion of family.

This was the most difficult book ever for me to finish, it was so bad.

Not forever, but for a long time, and most of the later stuff I still haven’t read.

Same.

Not at all. I love the extra stuff.

And I loved The Dark Tower right through Wizards & Glass. It lost it for me when he wrote himself into it and they literally go and tell him to finish writing. I feel like maybe he had to do it so he could ‘speak’ to his characters but maybe it should have been left on the editing room floor.

This is a terrible thread title, but whatever. Anyone watched The Stand yet? Curious if it’s worth a CBS All Access sub.