The Strain

Did the hacker chick actually leave last episode after her fight with Eff? I thought the Rat Catcher convinced her to stay but she was nowhere to be seen this week.

This is definitely the worst show I watch. My favorite bit of stupidity from last night’s episode was the Hispanic dude trying to call his mom at the hospital. A) The phones are suddenly working. B) The phones to the hospital of all places. C) There are people still alive and unaware of a vampire apocalypse at the hospital. “Things are a little crazy here today.”

The thing that cracks me up is the wildly disparate reaction within the city. You can have a store owner lying dead behind his counter and post-apocalyptic style scavenging going on within a quickie mart, while outside the door you hear the normal sounds of traffic. You can even see a few folks just walking to and from work as if nothing is wrong in some scenes.

So, T.S. Eliot was wrong. The world doesn’t end with a whimper. Hell, it doesn’t even end with a bang. It actually ends with a “meh”.

No, hacker chick left.

Where the apocalypse was unfolding nicely early on, it does appear to be getting away from the writers as it advances.

The writers are clearly caught in their own trap of trying to make the apocalypse look epic, while still, somehow, having the ridiculous Scooby Gang be the only force responding to it.

Face it, the vampire/zombies as depicted, while numerous, frankly aren’t all that dangerous. Notably, they aren’t all that deadly except when really up close, they’re detectable (UV shows worms) even early on, they’re killable with sufficient conventional firepower, and they aren’t all that smart for the most part. Ignorance of their existence is the most dangerous trait to a disciplined force.

So, the writers are stuck with having no one respond except for 4-5 bumbling idiots, while still trying to make it look like the end of days.

You know, I can’t even remember anymore. . . does anyone beside the Scoobys know UV reveals the worms?

No, but that’s because they’ve written it so that nobody other than the Scoobys are doing anything, including investigating.

They’ve written themselves into an increasingly improbably scenario. Hell, Rich Guy Industries HQ still looked like a normal day on the job when Rat Boy and Hacker broke in. If you lived in NY, you’ll know that at least 75% of those people come in to work via some form of public transit, which apparently still works perfectly fine. So, crazy apocalypse when needed (e.g., gas station or around the pawn shop), but everything else is otherwise normal.

Yes! These are exactly the sorts of things that drive me crazy.

The vampires are also always exactly as deadly as they need to be at any given moment. The first time rat guy went down into the sewers they were terrifying, fast moving hunters and he was lucky to escape ten of them. This time they are all busy napping, just try not to step on them. When The Hobbit needs to die, the smallest nick is enough to get worm infested but when our Hispanic fiend has to kill his friend in an enclosed space, or wrestle around on the ground with his with his brother, or chop off the head of the super with an ax, the worms (of which he is ignorant) are nowhere to be seen. A good ending to last night’s episode would have been Eff digs around in the dirt looking for the master and, oops, the dirt is full of worms and now Eff is dead. I guess he should have worn gloves.

I thought I was the only one thinking that while watching.

The worms are only going to infect people the writer wants to infect, and they will reproduce a gajillion times in seconds if that’s what it will take to keep someone infected who’s not on the budget for the next episode. ;-)

Eph’s hairpiece is seriously terrifying and the Master looks like an overgrown Muppet. Who exactly is the target audience for this show?

You, apparently. ;)

All of us posting in this thread, apparently. ;)

Yeah I’ve been wanting to ask for weeks why we are still watching this show. It’s the first show i watch when I turn on the DVR. Am I just desperate for non-glittery vampires? Is it the post-apocalypse thing? I don’t know. shakes head

The first time they opened up the coffin (in the airport warehouse), they did show it was full of worms, no?

Sometimes a show can be so badly written that it’s fun to watch.

I liked the books, but I’m leaning towards now agreeing with Tom that they weren’t terribly well written after seeing this show put those words into live action scenes.

The logic in the show is dumb but it’s nice seeing a group of people fighting an invasion of evil vampires. The vamps are interesting too. They have a zombie stage. It’s sort of a vampire-zombie mashup.

The Master really does look like he belongs in a Scooby-Doo episode. The gang will remove his mask and he’ll be the caretaker or hotel owner.

It’s like 24 as described by Kiefer – it’s not good, but it’s not boring.

It’s such a guilty pleasure - I can’t defend it at all, and I love the line someone said above about the Master being a big muppet, lol. And yet I am really being entertained by it.

I’m with you guys. Guilty pleasure all the way. The acting is horrible for the most part, the writing is bad, the special effects (see the master mask) are bad, yet for some reason I look forward to watching this every Saturday. Even my wife, who normally would have no interest in a show about vampires or anything remotely like this watches the show with me every week. It’s unexplainable but I’ve decided to not worry about it and just enjoy the ride until it comes to its inevitable train wreck of a conclusion.

Ah, Setrakian. We meet again.

If the Master had Beaker’s hair, or green hair down below his shoulders it would be the most amazing thing ever. I would give up hoping for Eff to be killed just to see it.

Nothing will ever cause me to give up hoping for F to be killed.