The Strain

I used to love rock climbing when I was younger…and in better friggin’ shape. You’d be amazed at how small a handhold some of the really good climbers could use to hoist themselves up. That being said, Setrakian doesn’t strike me as a professional rock climber.

I’m no rock climber, but I discovered a long time ago while horsing around that you can easily haul yourself up with just your fingertips on fairly small protrusions. There’s a lot to criticize about the show, but given the relatively rough stonework that’s common with old wells, that scene is entirely believable. Well, except for the fact that it seems to have taken him all night to climb. Either you can do it, and do it relatively quickly, or you can’t, and you fall to your death.

IIRC, he’s shown having the sword hanging from his arm, using it’s crooked head. Not as terrible as one-handed climbing, but you’d think he’d hang it from his belt or something.

That’s good to know about the climbing, thanks.

Stepsongrapes, you are probably right about the sword. It looked strange that he wasn’t using both his hands to climb out.

Yeah, it was a bit silly to think it took him 10-12 hours to climb up. He probably started in the dark and realized he couldn’t see well enough to climb and waited until sunrise. That’s gotta be it, right?

One other thing I thought was a bit comical is just how quickly the Nazi and his gang of vamps got to the pawn shop after our heroes were able to patch in to the emergency broadcast system to make their broadcast. It was literally just a couple of minutes later the bad guys were breaking windows. They must have been just down the block.

I am interested in the finale. It will seem odd to me if the master isn’t killed. The series has been heading towards a showdown. If we don’t get it, it won’t seem right.

We have two more books, though (at least), and they’re about the same stuff. So I’m guessing the plague does not end here.

I’d be surprised if they took out the master. I think they get the German, at best.

I do hope we get more info concerning the anti-vamp vamps. We do have a renewal for Season 2, correct?

It has been renewed.

That wasn’t much of a finale. It was more like just another episode. I am disappointed.

I guess we’re stuck with Eph. He is really annoying.

Let’s see who these infamous vampire slayers can take out in the sure to be exciting finale!!!

The master? uh, nope. But they…burned him a bit!
Eichhorst? Nope…but they shot him in the shoulders…TWICE. And then pinched him in the cheek!
Mommy vampire? Well, nope, but they splashed some glass in her face!! er
Evil old man? Nope. But they managed to deny him his manservant! That’ll teach him! He won’t be able to do anything now…well, other than propel the federal government representative off a building. But he kinda strained while doing it!

…wait, there must be some victory, some flag of achievement they can plant…aha, GOTH vampire. Now surely they can, at the very least, clean his pipes!!!

Well, no, but they did replace Eph with…drunkard Eph, like everyone was hoping for!!! No?

Ah fuck it, may be time to bail when the best you can say is it’s not z-nation.

Wow, with their lousy muzzle discipline during the big vamp fight, it’s a freakin’ miracle they didn’t do each other in. I’m particularly thinking of the scene where hacker girl is all “I know that chick!” and Eph’s standing right behind her with his gun pointed such that if she moved a few inches to the left he’d blow her head off.

Anyway, it was all right, but now it’s going to be hard to wait till next summer. Good thing the Walking Dead is coming back next Sunday night.

The best scene in the finale was the vamps creepily exiting backwards as summoned by the Master. And the Master crawling down the wall, like Dracula again (ditto tolerating sunlight).

But the creepy backwards exit in unison, and the vampire crawling through the small cave in the earlier episode, were the sort of Salem’s Lot-creepiness moments that the show should have more often.

Wouldn’t the dynamite have spread the worms all over the tunnel?

I thought the same thing when Fet used the dynamite. Worms would be all over the ceiling, and drop on our heroes as they passed.

Since when have they ever been afraid of the worms? Remember in the flashback when the old vampire killer plucked Miriam’s vampire heart out of her chest with his hands? That thing had to be crawling with worms! They are apparently immune to the worms.

I was surprised that vampire goth didn’t get it. I figured there had to be some small victory for the heroes and as a minor character he seemed like a good choice. I was resigned to the master and Eichorst returning next season but we needed to close this season with some kind of a victory besides giving Dracula a sunburn!

I will say the good-guy vampires are interesting. I hope there’s more of them in season 2.

He was wearing gloves. I mean, yes, it was totally ridiculous. But they sort of looked like work gloves.

I will say the good-guy vampires are interesting. I hope there’s more of them in season 2.

In the grand tradition of all the wrong calls in the thread: I don’t think we should rush to call them good guys. Granted, they don’t appear to be interested in an apocalypse and that counts for something. They seem like would be allies. I assume they are content to remain in the background and do whatever it is they do, which would seem to involve escaping notice as a general rule. Knowing more would be nice. What specifically was it that violated the treaty or whatever? Going public? Making a huge power grab? Also, they were all decidedly less ridiculous looking than the master; they basically looked like Eichorst when he is not made up. I wonder if there is something else to his appearance.

It was kind of funny to watch Arcane throw the scientist off the building. But it seems sort of absurd - well within the bounds of the show! - that this would be enough to get everyone to shut up about the “plague”.

It’s a shame that the one person in the country who might have considered quarantining a vampire plague is now dead. I guess that CDC guy is now in charge of New York. (Did Tyler Perry maybe have a hand in writing this show?)

The whole idea that no one outside of New York knows what is going on is ridiculous. So you just swallow it and forget about. Nothing in the show really makes much sense in a logical way. You just have to enjoy the good guys fighting the scary bad guys. Too bad the number one good guy is so annoying most of us want him dead.

I would like to know why the master looks like a dog when the ancients just look like all the other vampires.

Yikes, what a silly finale. Since the manhole was open, why didn’t they just look down the hole from street level to see if there were any vamps in the tunnel and then toss the dynamite down? Why raid the building at all at the end instead of just burning it down or at least smashing the windows before going inside? Why didn’t Eph or Walder Frey have one of those nail gun thingies with them to pump the Muppet full of silver?

Other than old Walder, the writer’s managed to create an ensemble of throwaway characters. Go Team Muppet-Master for season 2!

That was terrible. After Jewish Van Helsing goes all berserker the last time he faced the master, you’d think he’d off the guy pretty quick. Instead, he does his best impression of an anime teen character in angst when faced with the master, leaving it up to Eph(!) to actually do something effective.

Also, hey, let’s stop and reminisce over the old family album at the dumbest time.

Zero steps forward, 2 steps backwards in the finale. Securing the inhalers is about the only thing they managed to do all episode. I’m definitely done with this show.