The Strain

What wisefool said. The kid’s grimace as he erased “INFECT” was the centerpiece to the whole episode, by the by.

That wasn’t shown in the Canadian broadcast. Think the end got cut off.

The reason I hatewatch The Strain: what other show would take Vampire Rainbow Six and kill them off so casually (and nonsensically. . . they were just out in the daylight fully hooded. Just put your fucking hoods back on)?

F’s kid was even more annoying in this weeks episode, first lets have him sneak out and take the bus, then later lets have him toss shit all over the lab. Vampire Rainbow Six was one of the few good things they had going, and its gone. :|

At least Staten Island is cleaned up.

This show doesn’t deserve good things. It deserves only pain.

Seriously, just put the hoods back on? Hunch over slightly?

At least Staten Island is cleaned up.

I have to give io9 a nod here. What was the purpose of showing off the corpses of vampires when as far as the people behind this know, the vampires are just mindless creatures?

Also, who was the asshole that yelled “you’ve gone too far councilperson!” I thought it was accepted knowledge that “creatures” were running around eating everything.

Taking this a step further, why display them so crassly beheaded on a fence? Keeping in mind at some point these were someone loved ones/friends/co workers.

What insane group would be ok with hanging a group on a fence and clap about it? This should be tragic and sad, hanging some bodies up, bodies of people viewers possibly once knew and saying Staten island is now safe! This has a sort of Nazi’ish vibe to it. Especially, since the last the citizens knew (for all the rest of the world knew) as far as has been expressed in show to the average citizen (not F and his crew) this is a virus outbreak.

Also, if the rest of the world knows its zombies/vampire or even just the rest of the US, then you would expect the response would be overwhelming (with military and tanks). So, if most of the people still think its just a virus outbreak, who would be comforted by a bunch of bodies beheaded and hung on display as part of a we’re safe now ceremony?! Someone explain that one to me?!

I let most of the rest of the other stuff go assuming people can be stupid when they are afraid, so a lot of stupid afraid people running around New York. Fine. This ‘were safe’ scene just felt weird, like in what situation would someone ever think that was a good idea?

Yeah, that was ridiculous, like much of the show. It’s not as if these “creatures” were 14th century vampires or alien invaders - they are ordinary citizens who fell victim to a predatory virus. It would be like displaying Ebola victims hung on stakes in central Africa, wtf.

Even if you don’t believe light reflects off other surfaces you have to deal with the floor being directly lit too. It did look pretty stupid though, like they just instantly gave up even before the floor was turned on.

The trap being there in the first place made sense to me though. Not that Palmer was expecting Vampire Rainbow Six so much as being backstabbed.

But they had time to put the hoods back up before they got directed into the pit (they were all sort of flailing around for a good spell). The Sun’s light reflects off of a lot of things outside, too. I’m ok with writing all of that off to say “ok, they can put hoods up and wear ze goggles and get around”, but I think this all just highlights how poorly done this scene was.

The trap being there in the first place made sense to me though. Not that Palmer was expecting Vampire Rainbow Six so much as being backstabbed.

Sure. Eldritch may be high-ranking but he’s still a thrall in waiting. And he’s not really the thrall type.

So do we know if Eldritch Palmer knows that Eichhorst is a Nazi vampire? (I love the performance of that actor BTW, but can’t wait for the character to get his comeuppance).

I do not think Rainbow 6 is dead. They are going to be flipped? Palmer clearly has designs. The Master is planning to swap bodies on Palmer, but Palmer also has (yet unrevealed) plans to reverse the tables.

Why do you think Eldritch Palmer would care if Eichhorst was a Nazi? Heck, Palmer would seem like one of the industrialists happily investing in Nazi Germany during WW2.

Screw that kid. Should have made him watch vampires eat puppies or something.

What I meant was, does he know that Eichhorst is/was a Nazi AND is a vampire. If he knew that the former was the case, he’d have to have figured out that the latter was, right (given that he still looks maybe 60 at most)?

And thus it came to pass in this age that there was a show, called the Strain. And in this show’s universe there was a movie franchise about the Silver Angel, a luchador who fought evil in all it’s forms. And then everyone thought “I wish we could watch that instead, it’s probably better than The Strain”.

In all seriousness, this was Feyt’s first really bad idea. Just being off solo I mean.

Can’t figure out why Fitzwilliam would be so reluctant to help.

It would have been nice if they’d bothered to agree the noun with the article (“las” with “tiniebla[s]”) in the title of the videotape. Any decent first-year HS Spanish student could have caught that.

This last episode tried my patience beyond that however. The whole attack on the New York Fed was pretty silly.

Anyone still watching this? The new “Rainbow Six” vamp seems to have no problem walking in daylight one minute, but then addresses the three masters (weren’t there more of them before?) and says he needs the collaboration of human vamp hunters, hmm. Also he’s rather cheeky in their presence, like he himself is of their status in vamp society.

End of episode and other spoilers

Well, I guess ol’ Fitzwilliam’s career as a vamp hunter was rather short-lived. Was rather mean of Setrakian to cut off his head mid-sentence like that. At the end, Eichhorst acted as though he himself was going to be anointed the successor of the Master, and then, psych! Surely he’s not that stupid and must have seen that coming. At least they got the German lines right: Du bist mein besonderes Kind. Wir werden immer zusammen sein. Für alle Zeit. (something like that). And finally, the Stonehart assassin at the end looked just like the cop with the surprise partner on Humans.

The vampire you’re talking about is one of the more interesting characters from the books. I guess Drizz’t Do’Urden is a decent analog.

Why is Vampire Samurai carrying around a large femur on his back?

To get a leg up on the other vampires?

I assume its a sword or giant dog bone. :)

Eichhorst totally didn’t see that coming, he had the OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING face on.

nice.

Yeah, I read that as “Eichorst thought he was getting promoted to Lesser Master or something, and then was upset when it was going to Bolivar. . . only it turned out The Master was not so much promoting as doing a switch”. Eldritch Arcane is going to be in for a surprise, to say the least.