The Strain

Every episode featuring Eichorst should end with him shrugging his shoulders in defeat while walking away from the camera as Sad Trombone plays in the background. The guy’s like Wile E. Coyote on this show. Can’t he catch even one goddamn break?

Every episode featuring Eichorst should end with him shrugging his shoulders in defeat while walking away from the camera as Sad Trombone plays in the background. The guy’s like Wile E. Coyote on this show. I’m surprised that the dynamite Fet used to break into his hotel didn’t have ACME stamped on the side. Can’t a nazi catch even one goddamn break on this show?

It’s sure convenient that pepper spray works on vampire physiology, isn’t it?

I actually thought this most recent episode was a first for The Strain in that it was… Good? Pretty much all the way through.

Ridiculous as Eichorst’s constant escapes are, I’m glad he gets away as he is such a great villain.

My primary nitpick on this episode was actually the nature of those silver grenades which somehow detonate without creating any shrapnel as Dutch was standing right next to one when it blew up.

I initially thought that the spray was also laced with silver, but I guess it’s just normal pepper spray that a cop carries? If so, I guess vampire eyes still get irritated by capsaicin.

On the plus side, at least the kid wasn’t in the last episode. Peacedog really nailed it with his post above, so little has happened this season I bet they could have covered everything in 2 episodes if they really tried to cut out the filler crap.

Ok finally caught up through ep 12.

Let me see if I get this straight.

1. Setrakian decided what he really needed was to find the true neutral version of the Necrinomicon.
  2. The Master also began seeking it, for obvious reasons.
  3. The other masters, and Drizzt, are also looking for the book.

So Setrakian reached out to every contact he could find. Which was a priest, and the Alonso Creem. Setrakian also contacted every buyer he knew, which was also his eminence, and Alonso . Lastly, the priest put out his own feelers, to Alonso.

The book was located, it turned out the kid from the Monastary 50 years ago (or whatever) has the book. Setrakian went to the location, where the kid from the Monastery had the book. For no fathomable reason, he happens to live in New York now. He knocked out Setrakian because he’s a douche bag, and decided to go sell the book. To his only contact: Alonso.

So the Strain’s central plot line this season is American McGee’s Guy Ritchie’s Heist Movie?

Tonight’s finale is going to be awesome. . .ly terrible.

Yeah, last week’s episode kinda blew. On the plus side, it looks like they’re writing the kid out of the show (he’s going to go live with the grandparents or something, away from NYC).

If we had any doubts whatsoever till now about how useless Eph’s kid was, tonight’s episode laid them to rest conclusively.

Zack! is definitely the new Walt!

Kinds surprised that they killed one of the only survivors from the books, but then I realized this was too awful to care about. I gotta call it quits on this one.

[B]season finale spoilers

[/B]

Wow the kid is really the ultimate dumb ass, its just too bad Eff didn’t get to see his son choose to go with his half dead vampire wife , over him.

Poor Coco Chanel :(

Question regarding the aftermath of Coco’s fate:

spoiler

What’s with the macabre wormy heart excision? Is it in order to be able to harvest the White somehow?

I think it was just to be able to keep some aspect of her around, like the professor did with his wife. On the other hand, given the retcon featuring him concocting some aspect of the white, maybe you’re right.

Zach: stupid motherfucker.
Eph: any woman you fuck dies. Definitely has Cullen Bohannon Disease ( can’t have nice things). But then, I like seeing this idiot fucked over.
Coco: haha, you knew better, and you weren’t essential to the master plan. Fucked.
Nora: see? Semi-step-sons will fuck you over for mommy.
Eldritch: equals? Ahahaha! Fucked in the ass.

Setrakian: At least somebody has a clue.
Rat Man: anyone notice if you spell that backwards it’s Namtar? Sorry, Dragon Wars in-joke…
Dutch: ominous that they don’t bother with you for the finale.

Now if only they will kill Eph and son…

So did Mia Maestro want out or something?

Ep was not good, obviously. A few other thoughts:

Quinlan vs Survivors was boring, so I’m glad that’s at least to a resolution. Also, didn’t the other masters want to kill Bolivar? If so, why would they destroy the book? Do they know something we don’t (I mean, you would think. . .), or were the writers just leaving this one open ended? I actually liked Fett’s trash talking to Eichorst at the auction. Man they really waste Kevin Durand in this.

Only The Strain could turn the idea of a Luchador who fights vampires into something boring. Fuck you, The Strain.

Hahaha they just happened to fully ambush Setrakian + Fett over a man hole. LEL.

What the fuck did Eldritch think was going to happen? I assume he took the heart so he could make White Worm Decotin. I believe his sincerity on being crushed at losing Coco Chanel #5 but he’s too mercenary otherwise not to take advantage of the immediate resource. Also, you can’t leave her alive or the Master will use her to taunt like a motherfucker.

Eff - got I hope his son gets turned. Fuck.

I realized towards the end of that episode that I was actually rooting for the death of a 10 year old kid. I kept thinking, “Well, if the vamps don’t get him, perhaps he’ll step on a rusty nail and develop Tetanus? Or he’ll accidentally pull the trigger while looking into the barrel of a hand gun? Oh…wait…his dad worked for the CDC, so maybe Eph kept some vials full of hemorrhagic fever samples on a lower shelf in his garage lab…right about eye level for a 10 year old kid!”

And I don’t know why this never struck me before, but why exactly is it that the Master hasn’t just turned Eldritch and made him like Eichhorst? I mean, maybe during the early days of his invasion, he wanted someone who could operate during the day, but Eldritch has been off the leash quite a bit lately. You’d think if you had the power to muzzle him permanently, you’d freakin’ do it.

Speaking of Eichhorst, I was hoping they’d finally add the sad trombone effect to every scene in which he fails miserably after getting his hopes up. That guy is the Schleprock of the vamp world.

This season finale was so much better than the Fear the Walking Dead season finale. We had characters making decisions and taking actions that actually made perfect sense for their character. The kid continues to be a dumbass, even in the face of vampire mommy having just tongue-lashed poor Nora. You’d think after seeing “mommy” do something like that the kid would have lured her in and stuck his silver dagger in her eye socket, but NOPE, he stays true to character and will be the foil for Eph all next season.

The scene with the bidding for the book was fantastic. The tension, the insults and taunts back and forth, even the thugs were perfect with their mock civility backed up by dozens of guns. The attack on the truck and the “rescue” by Quinlan and Gus was a great scene, and their new alliance is promising for next season.

The only thing that would have made this finale any more perfect was if Eph, the kid and Nora had all died or simply left NYC altogether and next season could have been all about Setrakian, Fet, Quinlan, and Gus (with his gang of thugs) reaping havoc on the Master and his plans. If they’d had the foresight to keep Palmer’s former head of security around they could have even used him to facilitate a secret alliance with Eldritch now that he’s been given the “Setrakian Treatment” and is probably looking to fuck over the Master big time. I would love a whole season of sad trombone Eichorst and the Master watching their plans unravel bit by bit as the resistance, aided secretly by Palmer, foils them at every turn.

Was I reading too much into a couple of scenes, or does it sound like next season the outside military is finally going to jump into the fray in NYC? The policeman at the train station told Eph that theirs was the last train out, that the National Guard was appropriating all the trains for their own use. Then later we saw a flight of military helicopters overhead as Eph emerged from the subway tunnels. If the military does come into NYC, and they coordinate with Councilwoman whatshername and her crew so they understand what they are up against, it’s hard to see the vampires gaining much ground next season.

You don’t technically need a rusty nail for tetanus either. “Deep cut” + any area where an anaerobic bacteria could thrive. Nails are really good at the former and of course rust is often a byproduct on metal located in places where anaerobic bacteria. In other words, I think the odds of getting tetanus from anything deeper than a shallow cut down in the tunnels are amazing. Bonus points for killing the kid off screen, just to rub it in.

Actually, I take that back. If Bolivar starts referring to him as “The Annointed One” and they keep him around for 3 eps that’s fine. As long as they then quickly dispense with him because his plot thread still doesn’t work.

Bolivar doesn’t turn Palmer because Dutch Hacked the Internet™.

And lol sad trombone for Eichhorst would be the best thing. What we need is a scene between Bolivar and Eichhorst that matches the one between Vivaldi and Benedict in Last Action Hero, where Benedict gets Vivaldi’s hopes up before delivering the actual news.

I also liked the season finale. Dare I say it, is this terrible show finally starting to find its way? (Probably not!) Some thoughts:

– The resolution of the Coco plot line made it all so worthwhile! Its moments like this that get me on the writers’ side. Speaking of which…

– Over the course of this season I’ve come around on Eph. Not that he’s become more likable, because he hasn’t, rather because the writers have the balls to run with such an inherently unlikable protagonist. Eph does not seek your approval.

– The kid choosing his monstrous mother over his asshole father was also fantastic, especially after watching that mother kill the one woman who has nurtured and loved him since all of this began. Though I would have rather seen this kid banished to South Carolina, maybe we’ll see him tormented in all sorts of terrible ways next season. If the producers really have a sense of humor they will seek out an even more annoying actor to play him in season three. (Maybe impossible?)

– Setrakian, Gus, Quinlan and Gus = Win. Remember when the show was so terrible that we all got excited about the militant vampire with the awful voice effects? How much better is Quinlan than that dufous?

– Someone should do an Eichorst defeated super cut.

Will I watch season three? I’d like to think no but the answer is probably yes. I really do feel like the show started hitting its stride down the stretch this season. Much as some people bitched about the longer season drawing out the material, I think it was a good thing as its forcing the writers to discover nuance and character development.