The Streaming Wars

Ah - wasn’t aware that Money Heist was no longer on HBO (it was on there, right… pretty sure I saw it). But that speaks to kind of the problem I find with Netflix. HBO pretty much always has something available that I know I want to see. Same for D+. Netflix is a lot more hit and miss to my taste (though I’m coming back for Witcher S2).

What is that?

Doubtless, and I have no idea what any of it is or whether any of it is worth my time. Seriously, it’s a huge discoverability problem. I gather I’m unsual, but I’ve largely given up. I subscribe to Netflix one month out of the year to watch new seasons of shows I know I like and maybe a new show or two recommended by friends, relatives, or folks here. Then I watchlist 30 other interesting looking things, get tired at the prospect of trying all of them, and unsub.

Pluto TV is a Roku channel, I watch it all the time. Can’t beat the price at free. ;)

It’s an app you can download on your computer, Android devices, iOS devices, Roku, Xbox, Playstation, Amazon, etc. You name it. It’s got over 200 channels I think. There’s lots of stuff there.

Cool txs!

There’s lots of stuff, but at least in the UK the only stuff worth watching is the MST3K channel. I suppose if you really want to watch Mythbusters reruns there’s that too.

I mostly use Pluto for MST3K in the US. The serendipity makes it fun.

I’m gonna sign up for Pluto just for the MST3K channel. Thanks y’all.

On my end, we’ve signed up for Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and Acorn, and we’re pretty happy with the content we have available.

Pluto is decent. It has a lot of channels and there are a lot of older movies to watch. If it was all I had I’m sure I could find something to watch most evenings.

One thing that I really dislike about the big streaming services is that they all seem to be desperately fighting over the same audience, an audience that consists of families, apparently. Which is fine. They know their market research.

But man do I miss the wild and wooly days of Netflix streaming from about 6-8 years ago, when you’d be sampling movies and whoa hey there, Jean Rollin or Mario Bava or Larry Cohen movie! The heck are you doing here, 1970s drive-in grindhouse flick? Hey there, extreme horror cinema from France. Holy smokes, forgotten 1970s art film.

I realize there are services to go to that carry those niche-ier movies. But man was it fun to just have them pop up on Netflix back in the day.

Out of curiosity, is the Pluto channel different from the twitch channel?

MST3K and the related Rifftracks

[QT3 doesn’t seem to render twitch channels properly?]

It is different (they’re showing different movies right now, anyway.) Both have the same cozy random drop-in feel. The twitch chat is a nice bonus, though; that’s a good little community they’ve built up.

Pluto would have ads, does Twitch?

Incidentally, Pluto has a fairly nice spread of kiddie stuff when I just want to throw on something random to distract the little one.

Yes, Twitch also does. Couldn’t say which has more or which is easier to block.

Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

[stream twitch to your video player - for example VLC - and get the adds stripped out along the way]

Thanks, that’s tight!

Wow wow wow wow. Wow.

I discovered this years ago, when I was mostly watching twitch on a laptop that wasn’t plugged in. VLC is much more energy efficient than video players in web browsers were. I can’t say if that’s still true, but I highly prefer using VLC and not watching advertisements.

Netflix now publishes hours watched stats for the top 10 titles in various categories:

Some really interesting data there, e.g. on just how well the non-English content does.