The Surface Thread

So I initially attempted to pre-order a 15-inch 1TB Surface Book 2 on Microsoft’s site and it was sold out at 5:43 AM EST this morning. After some research (thanks Reddit!) it appeared that Best Buy still had some available at full price plus a $100 gift card. I sucked it up and paid full price (no education discount this time). If the keyboard types better than my XPS15 I’ll keep it.

Why wouldn’t you wait for thanksgiving? Urgent need for it immediately?

Trying to consolidate my computers and finally have the starting lineup for the next two years. I don’t really have to wait.

The only thing differentiating the 15-inch models is storage space.

256, $2499
512, $2899
1024, $3299

Sigh. Wish I had $3300 to blow.

Going from the 256 to the 512 also doubles ram from 8GB to 16GB. But the 512 and 1024 both have 16GB ram.

Not on the 15-inch. They’re all same i7 CPU, same RAM.

Ah nice, thanks for the link.

One really nice thing about the Surface Book is that it has a full-sized SD card slot. So you can always throw a 256 GB card in there to store non-speed sensitive content like pictures, music, movies, etc. I actually got one of the smaller adapters for a microSD card and put a 200 GB card in there. Between that and my tiny flush USB drive, I have tons of storage.

I decided to just check this morning and see if Microsoft really did mismanage and grossly underestimate the demand for the 15-inch and to my surprise, I was able to pre-order a 15 inch 1TB with my education discount. Cancelled my Best Buy order and saved some money.

I was gonna get one of these, but ended up not due to the CPU they’re using. For normal users, it’d be totally awesome, but the difference between the U chip they’re using and the i7’s in other laptops was just too much to deal with for my particular use cases.

I totally understand why they went with it though, and I still feel sad that I couldn’t get one.

Man, as much as I would really love the form factor, those are just crazy prices for the specs. My $1.1k precision laptop from 2 years ago has a better processor but a worse graphics card. Looking around I can get a similar performing laptop with a 1060 for not too much more than the $1.1k I paid.

Yeah, but Surfaces are designed to be the MacBook Pros of the PC world, and are priced accordingly. They also have a level of design and construction that is ahead of anything I’ve seen on the PC.

These are halo devices. Plus, it detaches.

No I get it, I just can’t justify it (the same reason I can’t justify a macbook pro).

Exactly where I am at. That thing makes me salivate, but there’s just no way I could justify half that price.

Surface Book 3 and Surface Go 2 officially announced, available for pre-order
https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2020/05/06/introducing-surface-go-2-surface-book-3-surface-headphones-2-and-surface-earbuds/

Looks good, I’ve been waiting for the new Book. My original is getting a bit long in the tooth, plus she ain’t ever been the same since the Accident. The Book 2 seemed a bit of a ‘skip it’, not enough on offer to justify the upgrade. Good to see they seem to have sorted the power issues while gaming though.

Balls to pre-ordering anything in the current situation though.

Pretty unimpressed with everything they announced today. All iterative refreshes other than the larger screen on the Go.

The Surface Pro is a great product for people who want that sort of thing, and the Surface Laptop is a very competitive laptop, I particularly like its 3:2 display. All the other Surfaces are gimmicky and compromised.

I always liked the idea of the Go. Did not like the big bezels though. Would have been nice if they could have reduced them a little more. If I was just looking for a basic computer for emails and whatnot then I would jump for something like that for $399 or $529 CDN. I remember paying about $600 for that shitty Atom based netbook. What a bad buy that was.