The Surge: sci-fi Lords of the Fallen

I thought playing a guy in a wheelchair was unexpectedly awesome touch, I don’t think I have ever done that in a game.
And watching Christopher Odd play it, it seems really really good, better than I expected (and I actually enjoyed LOTF quite a bit). Controls and combat look great.

So, anyone playing? I gave it a quick test today but haven’t progressed much because I’m sick and honestly can’t even stomach looking at the monitor right now. But I did get pretty strong LOTF vibes from it, controls are great and responsive, game runs great, no performance issues whatsoever. The body part system is somewhat interesting because at some point you have to deal with more armor resistance on enemies if you want to upgrade your own. It does make it a little bit unintuitive to switch targets in combat however.

So far I love it. Hard but fair, looks great, combat feels great, runs really well. Level design is pretty good (though I’m still getting my bearings). Some parts are incredibly atmospheric too. I can’t wait to play more.

I just gave my best staff to some random woman and got nothing in return. Why do I do these things in games.

I have yet to find a staff, but I really want to try one. :)

I’ve been enjoying my time with this one. I am a casual souls fan and played a bit of Lords of the Fallen. For the record, I don’t think LotF is ‘Dark Souls light’ as I found many of the enemies to be just as difficult as Souls enemies, but the system LotF uses is a bit more forgiving. I am not really good at those games but I do get better at them the more I play them and they are still pretty fun.

Anyway, I’m only in the first area and the difficulty is fair so far. As long as I don’t do anything stupid and I’m patient with enemies I usually do well. I really like the limb targeting system and I like the customization options for the rig, including weapons, limbs, and neural implants. What I really enjoy is blocking. I find that I can block most attacks and then immediately follow up with a counterattack which, even with a large weapon, kicks off pretty quickly. The only thing I haven’t been able to block are jumping attacks, but maybe I’ll be able to do that as I upgrade my rig.

Looking forward to playing some more tonight.

I finished the first area yesterday and I’m loving the game so far. I’m looking forward to more!

I already restarted because I wanted to try and get the special boss weapons. Just succeeded in getting the first one :).

Loving the game, just as I loved LOTF.

Just started. Got a staff after a while and am enjoying that, but the slow, high impact weapon is still better.

@Bateau, is this like LotF in that if you beat the boss on the first try, you get a special weapon?

In what ways is this better or worse than Lords of the Fallen? I prefer the setting of LoTF, but I could deal with it if the gameplay is better here.

You glorious bastards convinced me to get this. I blame you if it sucks.

I’m unsure, after a couple of meager hours invested. I didn’t play a lot of LotF.

Some of the ideas are interesting (severing for equipment for example) but the base game is a little clunky. In particular, some of the finishing animations are average and the way they ‘snap’ into place rather than blending is weak. The environments look like they’re going to be kind of bland and forgettable - junkyards and factories? But I’m holding out hope that improves. It does run pretty well.

It’s no Nioh that’s for sure. :)

I haven’t bought it yet but it sounds like the first area is the most interesting. The BS starts after the first boss. (I’d love to hear someone say that isn’t true!)

Anyway it might help overall enjoyment to set expectations accordingly. I don’t know.

No, there are special tasks you have to perform to get them. On first boss for example you can’t let him get hit by his own rockets.

Which part of LOTF’s gameplay didn’t you like? The two games are very similar, both have a real sense of weight to the combat.

It’s not true. First area is probably the worst. There isn’t really much BS, the worst I’ve seen so far is probably when 2h enemies initiate their lunge move while you’re next to them and you take the full damage instantly and because they’re standing next to you it’s hard to read. Bosses attack fast but the dodge is pretty reliable so it’s not that bad. Overall I’d say the game is (at times) challenging but fair. Some enemies might seem really hard at first but once you figure them out it’s quite manageable. I haven’t seen any mind games like changed animation sequences or timings from DS2 and DS3 yet.

I did like LOTF. I was only wondering if there is something that The Surge does better because if not, I shouldn’t really consider The Surge because I like the setting of LoTF better.

Implant system is great because it allows a lot of customization. It’s up to you to decide how many healing items you’ll take, if you want some buffs, etc. Implants also stack so if you really like one, why not equip 2 or 3? You can swap them at will at med bay and some can be hotswapped. Lots and lots of utility here.

Level design is very impressive. There’s one med bay (bonfire) per level and somehow all the major locations on that level loop back to it and to eachother.

You’re not locked into a class, you can change armor sets at will. For weapons the game uses a learn by doing system. They come with varying levels of proficiency scaling so if you want to try a weapon out and it has a low proficiency scaling you won’t lose much damage. Unfortunately the opposite applies to weapons with high prof scaling. The good news is that leveling up a weapon doesn’t take very long.

Thanks Bateau!

This game does not mess around with difficulty. I’m now about 4/5 through and playing versus endgame enemies means I can get 2-3 shot easily if I’m not careful. It still feels fair though, there really isn’t much bs here. Luckily I realized just how powerful dash attacks are and this made things significantly easier. I’m still using the 2.0 version of the first boss weapon, nothing I’ve gotten since seems to measure up, damage wise.

This is another reason why it’s hard to judge difficulty and fairness without trying it myself. The person complaining might not find the same useful tools and techniques I do.

I remember someone specifically said he was getting one-shot near the end of the game. Maybe that’s a different armor build.

I hope I land on something that isn’t frustrating!

Mitigation between different armor sets doesn’t change all that much. Think about light vs heavy armor in Souls series and you’ll get the idea. What is important though are health implants. I’m using 2 and at my core level that pretty much doubles my total hp. I’d say 2 are required for end sections of the game, 1 already puts you in oneshot territory of some (boss) attacks.