The Surge: sci-fi Lords of the Fallen

Anyone kill those security bots yet? Cause they seem to have some phat lewt. I tried once and they just rolled me.

I also just realized that if you take a weapon arm off an enemy, that is what gives you the weapon upgrade materials.

You mean the ones with three legs? Yeah, there’s lots of them later on. If you disable their ‘tail’ before you kill them they’ll drop an implant which can be destroyed to get about 2k scrap.

No, I mean the “police” bots, with the extending staff weapons. Humanoid guard guys who tell you to move along?

Oh yeah, those are nasty, especially if they come in pairs. Your best bet is to bait their attack and then use a dash attack if you’re using a slow weapon. Drone’s melee stun ability also works wonders because it will knock them down.

So those police don’t seem to respawn. I killed one by baiting and slowly working him down.

However, I don’t want to just kill them, I want to get their stuff. Have you successfully gotten any of their loot?

Yeah, full set. They’ll be featured prominently later in the game which is when they’ll also respawn.

And finished. What an incredible game, mechanically very solid, amazing atmosphere overall, pacing and length are just right. I think this will become a cult classic over time.

Starting NG+ :)

Cool! How long did it take you?

Hard to say, I restarted twice about 2/3 through. Last run was much faster because I was already familiar with the levels and enemies. I think a thorough player, even one who’s used to Souls style games, could easily spend 25-30h for the first run.

The third boss suuuuuckkks.

I’m finding that the weapons balance in this game is kind of balls… I mean, I got a ton of weapons, but all of them seem pretty GROSSLY inferior to the one you get from the first boss.

I’m not sure if maybe I’m just missing something? Or maybe I need to wear something like goliath armor to make it work better?

I think probably the biggest issue is that aside from the single rigged weapons and heavy duty weapons, other weapons don’t consistently stagger a target… so they hit you and you take damage. The heavy duty weapons seem slow and clumsy, without much advantage over the single rigged.

The single rigged weapons are good, but again, all seem inferior to the PAX blade.

Am I missing something?

Timex they probably just suck at balancing.

Why did you do this?

Spin2win. Some heavy duty weapons initiate a spin on the third attack in the sequence and deals massive damage. As for other weapon types - you’re trading speed for impact, same as it is in dark souls.

@TimJames Once because I reached a point where I felt like I had gotten much better at the game and wanted to replay the earlier sections with this newfound knowledge and the second time because I failed to get the 2.0 weapon from the fourth boss - which I ended up maining on the final run so it was totally worth it.

Christ, I finally beat that third boss. What a freaking bitch. Not bad design though, as I was able to continue making incremental progress as I fought it over and over. But ultimately I really didn’t LIKE the fight much. But whatever, it’s done now. On to more game!

That’s actually one thing that I find a bit lacking… In Dark Souls, there were usually a few different areas which were accessible at any one time. This had the benefit of giving you something else to do when an area was just totally kicking your ass… you could just leave and go do some other area.

The Surge doesn’t seem to have this… it always seems like there is really only one area I should be in at any given time.

In other news, I have found that the staff weapons have potential, but that all weapons are heavily dependent upon the armor you’re wearing. Since the armor changes the impact level of the weapon, the heavier armor types make the lighter weapons more viable by making them actually stagger enemies… so while the staff is kind of garbage with the lynx armor, it’s workable with the scarab armor.

One thing playing through Lord’s of the Fallen has done is that it has made me very interested in this game. I like this developer now.

Once I’m done with Dark Souls III and then the DLC and ending of Bloodborne, this will go on my wish list.

Does any of this stuff still apply?

I know they patched the game to make some things easier. Just curious, probably won’t play it until the next Steam sale.

I saw on PC Gamer this game is getting a demo next week.

That’s cool. I’d like to try this out.

I read the demo will be the patched version including PS4 Pro and HDR support, FOV slider (PC) and all the things they’ve tuned in usability and balancing so far.

In an interview podcast a month or so ago, the studio head said Deck 13 are more than happy with the reception of the game. The reviews are higher on average than they were for Lords of the Fallen, and the sales performance is above expectation. His answer sounded like “not through the roof, but it will make money”. He also said that a game with a budget like this should make it beyond 1M sales across platforms within a reasonable time, and The Surge is on track for this.
So he considers the game another success for his studio and another small step up on the industry food chain.

I wonder if we’ll be able to continue our progress to the full game. Probably not. I also wonder if it will coincide with a sale.