The T1/DSL gap

It’s an incredible deal when you consider that it’s about the same cost or slightly more depending on area as a T1 (1.5/1.5), and just as reliable.

Never had a problem with DSL in a year and a half.

Qwest for some reason or another limits the entire area I live in to 640.

I’d get a cable modem, but I want my goddamn static ip.

You’re lucky. Some people have no problems, some people have nothing but.

Qwest for some reason or another limits the entire area I live in to 640.

That’s retarded.

I’d get a cable modem, but I want my goddamn static ip.

How much are you paying for DSL now? I don’t know about providers in your area, but my cable company offers a business service that gives you a static for $80, up from $40. It’s also higher bandwidth, IIRC.

We (at home) are forced into using SBC DSL, which thankfully is at 1.5/128k (can pay more for 256k or more up) - because of their recent promotions it’s at a mere $30 or so per month, which is nice.

Can’t get any other DSL though, SBC has blocked everyone out pretty much, except for iDSL. Yeah right, like I want ISDN for three times the price.

— Alan

I’m paying about $100 (ISP + line provider) for 640/640 right now; I have no idea why they limit the entire Capital Hill area in Seattle to that, but they do.

I was previously paying around $200 a month for 1000/1000. Qwest is full of teh poop

Comcast, the local cable provider, refuses entirely to offer any sort of agreement where you can run a server. Those fuckers with their market segmentation.

I just signed up with Speakeasy myself for the 1.5/768 line for $89 a month. So Jason what exactly do you need that 3MB download speed for? ;)

– Xaroc

McCullough makes extra cash on the side running www.HotNakedSupremeCmdr.com

“Utilities” and “applications.”

Has me actually laughing despite the fact Jason is increasing his downstream bandwidth.

– Xaroc

“Utilities” and “applications.”[/quote]

I think that RIAA automatically sends a SWAT team to your house for having that much bandwidth.

– Xaroc

Have you tried getting a business line through Qwest Jason? I’ve used their business lines before (had 1.5/768 back in SLC) and was pretty happy with the situation. I’m assuming so if you’re using 640/640 since that’s not one of the standard consumer options.

My apartment building has a T1 hooked up to it up here, and have a deal signed with the company preventing me from getting anything else. Luckily the service is pretty good so I don’t have to move.

Their business line option for my apartment was like a billion dollars a month.

Shrug didn’t say it was cheap - Qwest pretty much only offers 640/256, and 256/256 for consumer lines. It’s not just your area.

I’m reading this thread over Qwest dialup because my Qwest DSL has been down for three weeks. The first time this happened, we were down for a month, and after being transferred up through countless layers of buffer techs, we finally got someone who realized the company had somehow internally cancelled our service, without any input from us. During the current outage, while running diagnostics on the line, they managed to disable our telephone service for three days. This is almost worse than my experience with AT&T Cablenet.

It’s not masochism, Qwest is just the only residential DSL provider here.

Qworst strikes again.

That’s the thing I don’t get - they offered me up to 7000/1000 in my apartment a whopping 2 miles from here, 6 months ago.

Was it a resedential line? As far as I know the only thing that goes that high with Qwest was their business stuff, but it’s been a while since I looked at Qwest ISP price plans. Plus they didn’t try to sign you up through MSN did they?

It was residential. Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of Telcos?

I deal with Qwest a lot because of work. I know their evils :P

For anyone thinking of going with something like this, check out this new promo that Speakeasy is running:

http://www.speakeasy.net/promos/fastcheapeasy/gamer

You get the same package Jason’s talking about (3.0down, 768up), 2 static IPs, 8 email accts, shell access, and free fileshack premium access. They just bumped the price way the hell down to $99/mo., and only $69 for the first three months.

For those already with Speakeasy, you can switch over and take advantage of the $99/mo. pricing (if your contract is already up, you can take advantage of the $69 for the first three months, too!)