The Talos Principle

Phew, and done.
I really liked the ending I got

Lots of fun doing the coop (with the AI) ending in the tower. Tower fell apart the first time I tried, but I was able to make it through the 2nd try

I ended up skipping some of the non-mandatory levels and most of the stars during the 2nd half of the game. There was still plenty of content. Glad I stuck with it and played until the end. Even towards the end many of the puzzles were solvable without banging my head against the wall, but every once in a while one would throw me for a loop. If you enjoy solving puzzles that require manipulating the environment with a small set of tools I definitely recommend playing this game.

Glad you liked it. In 2 weeks the expansion comes out. I’m very excited for it.

How much do the stars matter? I’ve only finished the first area and started the second. I am enjoying it so far, but would prefer not to endlessly hunt or guide my way through finding all the hidden stars.

They can be used to unlock other levels. I’m not sure what solving those levels does. I ‘won’ without doing those.

There are multiple endings. Doing the stars is necessary for at least one. Don’t ask me for details, I purposely haven’t looked into it because spoilers.

The third ending requires all of the stars (although if I remember right, there’s at least one extra than you need). I enjoyed the challenge of finding them all, but had to look up hints for a couple. The “main” ending doesn’t need them, but needs all of the tetris pieces.

Road to Gehenna expansion is out today. The main game is on sale too. Excited to get more puzzles.

Definite recommend the main game if you like solving puzzles. You can avoid some of the more involved exploration puzzle based games (for the stars) and still complete the story of the game, so it’s nice if you want control over the difficulty a bit. There were some others that can be skipped too if you want.

Since I just finished the game I’m in no rush to get the DLC. I was ready to be done.

Just picked it up because of the sale, looking forward to digging in a bit this weekend.

Only had time to try the first 2 puzzles in the expansion. They are not for beginners - it’s definitely intended for veterans of the main game. Story looks to be pretty interesting as well.

Picked this up on sale a couple of weeks ago. It’s pretty good! I don’t find that the puzzles require much in the way of reflexes, though there was one red one where I kind of wonder if I missed the real idea and skated by on some very narrow timing. Most of the time that I’ve struggled I was just not looking at it from the right perspective.

The bomb ones can be frustrating though. It’s totally worth it to completely game out the scenario in your head so you don’t get sent back to the beginning after completing 7/8 stages…

I’ve mostly ignored the stars, except for the first one that I picked up mostly by accident. I don’t know if going back and doing a sweep for them will make them easier due to knowledge gained from later levels, or harder because I’ve forgotten how the local puzzles work…

The thing is, you have to get all the stars to get to the end of the game. They’re not really as optional as they look. And there was one I couldn’t get even after looking at a video walkthrough, which is pretty much what made me give up on the game in frustration.

But, yeah, it was pretty fun up until that point.

I don’t think you need all the stars for the “true” end.

Yea, I didn’t get all of the stars and it didn’t seem like my ending was incomplete.

What you needed was to do all the normal puzzles, including the red ones, and then of course use the new access to to part that go to the real ending.

The ‘true’ ending doesn’t require all the stars. All of the stars gets you a different ending, however, that involves becoming an AI/oracle/whatever that helps other players. (And your messages will show up in the games of your Steam friends).

Wrapped up the red sigils yesterday and decided to finish the game rather than try for the stars. I think I finished with 4 stars. It’s strange, most of them seem like they would be quite difficult, but some feel like if you finish the main puzzle you almost automatically get the star.

I liked the ending I got, and I liked the questioning of the morality of what you do. I liked the philosophy, literature and piecing together of the story as a nice change in mind-mode from figuring out the puzzles. A lot of the puzzles also had the satisfying structure where they seem impossible at the start and obvious once you look at it the right way.

How did your conversations with the computer go? I kinda pissed mine off and got the bad ending there…

Yeah, I didn’t end up convincing Milton of anything. I found it interesting, but a bit frustrating to have that sort of talk where I can’t actually say what I want to say.

With all the most anticipated holiday releases sitting on my computer, I ended up playing this all week instead. Kind of a really good puzzle game; although I’ve a weakness for the genre. Quite enjoyed The Ball, Antichamber, and Q.U.B.E. when I played them, too.

I think I did okay with the computer conversations - when it came down to it I gave up trying to convince it I had a good argument about anything and knew anything about what I was talking about but had the opportunity to point out that neither did the computer. Pretty sure I got a good ending - but not sure how much that is dependent on those conversations.

After finishing I restored to an earlier checkpoint, and I’m using a walkthrough to get all the stars (I only found enough during my normal play to unlock one of the three gates) so I can do all those gated sections. I also want to try going through Elohim’s gate. That should be good for chuckles.