The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

Holy crap chet. Though it makes sense since you work there.

So what is the deal with weapons that level-up and genuine items? I have neither.

Genuine items are generally promotional items from pre-ordering other games through Steam. This is to differentiate from when they become available later in the drop and craft system in non-Genuine form.

Strange items keep track of kills with that weapon, the name changes as you accumulate kills and that’s a bout it. The stat can only be found on select items from certain crates.

If you don’t have either, that just means you need to work on your epeen.

I’m an almost exclusive gunslinger player for that very reason. My skill level has just not improved past a certain point despite dozens of hours and years of experience, and there are remain things I still can’t ever do, like instadetonate mines or chain grenade or rockets like some of the best players who seem able to stun luck and kill you with those weapons. I’m still not sure how the dead ringer works and I don’t really trust it; I stick with the cloak and dagger in most cases.

For engies in th pick up games I play level three sentries are just not reliable anymore on common maps; by now almost everyone knows how to clear them out. I find mini sentries generally to be more useful as they can be replaced nearly instantly and so you can throw them all over in what would be off kilter places, make or contribute a kill or two, then advance or fall back and do it again. They only suck on those occasional choke points where mobility is constrained and it’s all about massed spam from soldiers and demos.

The Libery Launcher is for me a must have Soldier weapon; it’s usually be best choice in every situation. I like the Sniper’s bow not because I’m any good with it per se but that I can fire indirect fire towards chokes and stay on the move. My overall skill though is quite unstable depending on my mental condition and days when I’m playing after work exhausted might see me getting creamed where the night before I have a 2:1 k/d. Like a bad golfer i’m just not consistent day to day, and server to server.

I mostly play Spy with stock items as that is what I’m most use to/effective with.

However I’ve recently discovered the joys of Dead Ringer + Your Eternal Reward. Totally different spy play style and it’s awesome. Also equipped The Enforcer since cloak time doesn’t matter at all with that setup.

I’ve overall found very limited/case specific use of Cloak and Dagger. It’s good for staking out an area but it doesn’t fit my play style. Mostly because it limits my mobility a lot. You can’t pick up ammo to recharge your stealth instantly and don’t have the feign death of Dead Ringer.

Tried to friend you to get some freebies next time I play…and your friends list is full! Full I say!

Darth and Rogue, both those work for me. Just hit me up with a friend request on Steam, I’m in the Qt3 group and usually online in Steam whenever my PC is on.

Since we’re doing trading stuff
http://www.tf2items.com/id/squeemk2
Everything on page 1 is up for grabs, just trade me some other weapon to replace whatever you want. Preferably of the same class as the weapon you’re wanting since I’ve got almost all of that paired up for grinding into metal. But if not, no biggy.
Also got a hound dog, sergeant’s drill hat, or prairie heel biters I’d like to trade for a googly gazer if anyone’s got one and fancies one of those things.

Ah, I don’t have it because I traded or crafted mine away as I was never going to use it. Sorry.

Edit: Thanks Squee and Darth for the trades.

I’d really like the new Demoman sword if anyone has it. Look through my backpack for anything you’d like in return: http://www.tf2items.com/id/roburky

I play with stock soldier most days (except to play around with new stuff) and almost always one of the top 3 players. The extra rocket means you can take down a heavy in one clip.

I shall thank you in advance good sir! :)

I played some TF2 last night for the first time in about a year, maybe longer. Anyway, much to my surprise, I had a great time and did very well - I assumed being out of the loop for so long would mean being dominated by people with strange weapons and funny hats, but as a soldier wielding nothing more exotic than the Equalizer I was tearing fools up.

I have still yet to craft or do anything other than engage with the core shooting, though - apart from to don my beta badge and unlock the odd weapon in the days of achievements. So I thought I’d take a gander at the wiki this morning and see how that side of things works, and… holy shit. Where do you even start with that lot?

I use http://www.tf2crafting.info/ to figure out what I can craft, saving me the trouble of wikis and what not.

Anything on the first page of my backpack is available to anyone from QT3 for free. Send a Steam message if you are interested.

I’d definitely be interested in hat, but since I’m already pretty well hatted I guess I’ll pass. Better for hatless people to get more hat for the war themed hat simulator.

Hope the Quake 1 rocket launcher ends up being craftable. Already had the id complete pack on Steam so I don’t want to buy the bundle, and don’t wanna spend $20 on Quake 4, but Quake 1 rocket launcher is too wonderful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx1Y_W4II0c

Ooh. Could I get the Persian Persuader off you?

Do you actually have to buy Quake 4 to get the RL or can I just install one of the 3 versions I already have?

Assuming I can get it to run in Win7, that is, as I’m having trouble just getting the installer going.

I was wondering why I got a nifty little hat today – it was the hood for owning Brink.

Now I have the full set of new demoknight stuff, I don’t think the booties are a worthy substitute for the grenade launcher, even if you can’t pick up ammo and only get your starting 20 grenades.

The extra turning during charges still seems unusably slight, and +25 health isn’t enough compensation for the complete removal of a weapon as powerful and versatile as the grenade launcher.

But Persian Persuader with Splendid Screen and Grenade Launcher is a lot of fun. Even if I’m not being particularly effective with it yet.

Definitely. The full set is not that strong, this loadout is the way to go. Valve heard all the complaining about the demoknight, and in response they made him stronger. Go figure.

Need it on Steam. If retail copies worked, I’d be covered too.

That loadout is pretty OP in arena. You get the best healing short of a medic, and the inability to replenish ammo is less of a drawback given the time limited rounds.