The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

Look further. It does track it, just not per game, but based on each class, for the duration of time spent playing TF2, or at least until those stats are reset. I think you find it by the same tab as in the inventory, or equipping gear on your character. I’d have to fire up TF2 and get a heap of updates to find out.

Also as medic, you get points for healing. One per 500 if I recall.

You guys are old.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595818896002549595/F20AF02656D4572B3A2F64FBC8ABEEB6417A75CF/
Mmmm. Glorious hats, and replaced the hitsound with the one from Quake 3. Must NEVER STOP PLAYING NOW.

Yeah, what is someone possibly going to do in game while they are typing an essay into the chatbox? I am sure the medic appreciates being told he was a dumbass not to use uber while both of you are stuck back waiting to spawn. I actually go so far as to never steam friend people without mics, it is just so rare to find someone who is any good at all - or who you can get to know - who doesn’t have a mic. TF2 isn’t as bad for this as say L4D, but still, someone who isn’t communicating usefully with their team has no right to complain when 11/15 other people don’t magically know what they had in mind to do.

Aversion to death is a very strange phenomena in online games that I’m sure I’ve discussed somewhere on here before. It’s not something I’m saddled with, fortunately. I’ll never stop advancing no matter what volume of ordinance is coming at me. I’m a commissar’s dream.

I would never dream of going on voice chat with randoms on a server, either. Ew. Generally if I hear anyone using the in-game chat I mute them immediately. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone make a meaningful contribution via that channel. It’s either a little clique of irritating smugs making in-jokes, random soundclips, or otherwise bereft of content.

I can also honestly say that I’ve never really got annoyed at the rubbish players on my team. That’s just a fact of public server life. But this is helped to some extent by the fact that most of my mates are pretty decent players, and I’m usually playing with at least one of them (and on external comms too). A couple of well coordinated players of reasonable skill can usually have a pretty big impact, especially on pubs. This seems especially pronounced at the moment, possibly because of the ongoing adjustment to f2p.

Also, notatiger, may I have your Black Box and Reserve Shooter pretty please? Will badger you on Steam at some point.

I hate it when this happens!

So you don’t want to put on a headset or find a good regular server to play on? Sluggo, random pub TF2 servers suck. Always have, always will. If you want to stop being disappointed, stop joining those servers.

it’s possible the tele exit somehow got damaged, but i noticed it happen in the setup round as well.

i always assumed it was some weirdness due to crits with metal being subtracted but tele repair hardcoded to 25 or something.

also, a good compromise to a headset is just to have a mike. i got one sitting on my desk next to me.

Combat Engineer is the new hotness for me.

Engineer runs into Heavy. Engineer spawns insta-build mini-sentry. Heavy begins shooting at mini-sentry. Engineer runs up to Heavy point blank and blows him away with his shotgun while he is busy trying to destroy the mini-sentry…

There are some things about the new demoman weapons which aren’t explained by the item summaries.

With the new sword that converts collected ammunition into health, you can still get ammunition from dispensers. This means that as long as you have an engineer around, or are accompanying the cart, you can still grenade spam all over the place, completely nullifying the otherwise huge downside to the Persian Persuader.

The other thing is that the Splendid Screen’s “deal charge damage at any range” isn’t just the shield bash damage. As long as you swing the sword directly after hitting someone with a shield bash, you will deal a critical hit, no matter how far you charged.

Put that all together, and you’ve got a class that can still destroy sentries, kill people around corners, and annihilate whole groups at long range, but now also gets a near guaranteed instant kill and health restore against anyone who comes near him every six seconds. Plus twice as many health packs lying around the map to use.

You can’t deal with heavies very well, and don’t plan on surviving if you miss your charge on a pyro, but otherwise it’s feeling very powerful. There’s plenty of nerfs I’d take to this loadout and probably keep using it.

No! I just got that damn sword and I love it too much to give it up. Now I have to go craft that damn shield to see if I never play another class again.

melee is the only slot i’d ever change on demo, luckily the options are pretty sweet. i can’t imagine being a demo with no stickies, that’s like a soldier with no rockets.

I like charging with the grenade launcher. Haven’t quite figured out more than spamming them though

That’s kind of how I used to feel, until I tried looking at the demoknight in a new way – as sort of an unofficial 10th class with its own situational usage. I rarely play Arena, but I was goofing around with the demoknight in there a few days ago, and after quickly racking up a bunch of kills, I came away amazed at how lethal it was, and can see some interesting uses for it on maps like Dustbowl.

I often find myself wishing TF2 had loadout presets, so that I could quickly switch between my normal demo and demoknight setups, or loadouts for my scout and soldier.

in the keyboard options there’s a loadout quickswitch button that’s default unbound. bind it. it’s broken for the demoman if you ever want to swtich away from your shield or boots or half zatoichi.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595818896028102398/D9C789CF5531F074810BF7EDE42A5A66C5A99622/

i like playing as a demoknight but when i want points i’ve got to have my stickies and my pipes. having the ability to zone makes the combo invaluable.

To answer the constant theme of your questions, sluggo…

Yes, it is asking too much to expect a limited selection (limited by your ping to them) of public servers to always, or even often, be playing together.

This isn’t just in TF2, it’s this way in almost every single multiplayer game online. The exceptions to this are either long running games that don’t have an influx of new blood (such as CS) or games where the community is very small (such as MNC).

I like chet’s suggestion. It does requires a mindset shift though. Instead of looking to join a server and get some honest to goodness teamplay from the get go, start joining servers looking to join up and have your goal to be make the team you are on better. Be that by educating or just defending and helping the support guys or whatever.

Whatever you decide, I would suggest taking things a bit lighter. If for nothing else, other than your own happiness level. ;)

BOO! The Quake tribute weapons aren’t craftable.

I don’t recall any weapons being non-craftable before. Maybe they are just skinned versions of the basic weapons, and if so that’s more understandable.

the original is more than just a skin of the rocket launcher because instead of coming out of the side of the screen it comes out of the middle. i hope it does become craftable because i have no desire to spend $20 on quake 4.

Some weapons are not craftable immediately, but instead are exclusive for a bit. That may be the case with this RL.

Edit: In fact, it was added to the crafting/drop system just today, along with some other promo items.

In addition, they’ve announced the Steam Trading Beta. You’ll be able to not only trade TF2 items without opening TF2, you’ll also be able to trade your gift Steam licenses, so you will easily be able to trade games for items, or games for games. Furthermore, the blog post implies that you will be able to trade items between games, with the photo implying a TF2 item going to L4D. Pretty interesting.

I think the L4D in the picture indicates that you can trade hats for games.

The quake rocket launcher is also available in the store for $2, for anyone who loves nostalgia but hates trading.

I always thought that Valve is leaving money on the table by allowing promo items to drop/be crafted, but there’ll probably be player outrage otherwise.

I dunno. This statement from the blog post makes me think otherwise:
“Steam Trading Beta lets you securely trade your in-game items for other in-game items from participating games.” To me that sounds like you will be able to trade TF2 items for Portal 2 items, or some such.