The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

I played some more last night too… Played Engie for a couple of hours. Didn’t get any of the new items, but did have a blast on 2fort killing spies over and over. Often times, two at a time. It was a mess of fun.

So about a week ago I decided I had to quit playing TF2. After about 1,000 hours of playtime, I need to step away and play some other games. To help make myself quit, I decided to sell everything in my backpack. It worked out pretty well: I came away with 2 copies of Portal 2 (one of which I need to trade away), Depths of Peril, Rock of Ages, Bastion, SPAZ, a copy of Civ 5 for the wife and Red Orchestra 2 (I can’t just leave team based shooters behind). Answers the question of what I’m going to play now that I am not playing TF2.

Awesome.

I mean awesome not just about the trades but also about your wife playing Civ 5. I am jealous.

You sold things in your backpack for real money? How do you do that?

Valve implemented a way to trade TF2 stuff for stuff from other games, or games itself.

I think there needs to be a support group for people to join as they enter life after TF2. I realised I had a lot of enjoyable games that I pretty much neglected over the course of a few years. That said, TF2 gots its hooks back in me again. Too friggin addictive this game.

I’m not really noticing that big a difference in all of the toys, the gameplay seems roughly the same. I guess it would matter at the tippy-top of competition but for just jumping in and burning people it’s still the same action.

H.

When I married her, she did not play video games, despite the fact that she grew up with two brothers who were life long gamers. Now I’m converting her. To date she’s played a number of games, like Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Bayonetta. She’s nearly done with her Portal 2 run-through and just started her own game of Bastion. Perhaps Civ 5 will complete the corruption…

Like DarthMasta mentioned, with the new Steam trade feature you can trade in-game items (TF2, Portal 2, Spiral Knights) and game licenses. The bulk of my selling went hats for metal, then metal for keys, then keys for games. A refined metal is worth about $1 in trade value, keys about $2. If anyone wants, I will take a peek at your backpack if you think there is anything valuable. This blog tends to be the most widely referred resource for item prices.

Yeah, I still love it to death. I just need to take some time away. I’ve been wanting to play Dead Rising 2 for months and months, but have not, mainly because of TF2.

Almost every weapon is a sidegrade, at best. The soldier and medic melee slot are pretty much the only weapons in the game with clear upgrades. Everything else is situational, or silly.
Speaking of weapons, I still have a few. If you don’t play much and want to try out something you see in there, let me know.

I too have come back to TF2 and that’s almost all I play now. 2fort over and over. As someone who has played very little of the other maps, what other map would you recommend for someone who loves the simple 2fort layout?

Circlejerk!

my best and worst moments (excluding 8-minute medic healing fests). if you’re only going to watch one, i recommend #6 and #5.

1. medic caps the point despite his own suicidal tendencies and under-estimation of cap defense.

2. scout caps the first point

3. i almost dump BOTH of the enemy uber heavy and medic onto our spawn roof.

4. i am the red pyro. i totally botch blowing the uber back.

5. mini-sentries - the silent killer.

6. i hate spies

I love that little gun.

October 13, 2011 - the day the Hatconomy died.

Items which were once extremely rare are now available for purchase in the TF2 store at reasonable prices, bringing the economy built around hats to its knees. I love Valve so much.

Glad I recently cleared out my backpack. What did they add to the store?

http://www.teamfortress.com/manniversary/

I like the new pyro birdcage hat… :)

I saw the Manniversary update announcement earlier, but Steam said it was going to be a 4 hour DL (I assume the servers were just slow), so I haven’t updated yet.

But am I correct in reading that they’ve added the ability to create preset loadouts? I’ve wanted that forever.

yep thats added.

On the Steam Workshop page is says $2million awarded to item creators so far. That’s pretty damn awesome.

That’s not really true. The big change is that everything brought from the store can now be traded, which means that certain rare and sought after hats (ie. team captain, villains veil) can now be obtained readily. The trading power of those hats dropped, but otherwise there’s no big difference.

However, this is good news for the creators, since they get a cut from the store purchases of their items.

On a final note, if you have earbuds (tf2 item), now’s the time to trade them for games. Their worth has increased/bubbled recently, and people are paying $25-30 for them.

So can someone explain to me: Why would anyone pay $25-30 for the earbuds? What makes them so special?