The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

They’re used as currency when trading for unusual hats.

There’s no sensible reason, Sluggo. Just accept that people are insane and TF2 is still startlingly profitable for everyone involved.

Do you find the concept of the buds being worth that much odd, or hats in general? If it is just the buds, they are rare because they were only given out for a week when TF2 came out for Mac. It is unlikely Valve will ever give them away again, so there is a fixed supply. Unlike unusual hats, they are all identical. So, like keys, they make a good currency.

So how does one get 30$ for these buds? The whole trading economy inTF2 is very opaque to me. He’ll I don’t understand the first thing about crafting either.

Trading for money is kind of risky unless you do your research, I wouldn’t advise it. However, it’s much easier to trade for games. Either make a post on the Steam tf2 trading forums, or in the pinned thread of the sourceop forums (link) If you’re looking for well known games like MW3 or Skyrim, you can usually get a better deal since some people buy them up specifically to trade, or they have received them in trade and are looking to get rid of them. Make sure that you’re only trading for games that can be sent through the Steam trade, since there are a number of scams involving exchange of raw cd keys, etc.

I was curious about the buds specifically, since they seem to hold an elite place among hat seekers and I didn’t know why. Thanks for the explanation. :)

The trading economy has made TF2 a dark and frightening place for me. All I want is a Persian Persuader and I have no idea what to trade for it. I need an Eyelander to craft the one, but of course I’ve been getting Axtinguisher drops instead.

Are crates worth anything? I’ve got a dozen of those.

I miss when you could just play this game and not have to worry about hats or crafting or people having guns that you don’t have access to.

It’s interesting to me that as the PC version has gotten more wacky, the oft-maligned 360 version has become the “pure” version to play.

Apparently with the new update there’s an option to “try” a weapon out for a week for free from the TF2 store. Not sure if that’s only restricted to new weapons from the latest update.

Rule of thumb on trade servers is that any weapon prior to the latest update can be had for 2 weapons each. But open offers guys. If any qt3 regulars wants a particular weapon, just let me know. Don’t let the trading aspect deter you from what is still the best multiplayer shooter around.

Send me an invite (http://steamcommunity.com/id/lonnrot)

I had earbuds, and they disappeared. I’m annoyed by this.

Yes, I only have 20 hours in TF2. I have an old Mac. It runs slow.

Contact steam support. They restore tf2 items under certain circumstances.

Sometimes when steam support restores items, they come back glitched (ie. earbuds with a vintage status.) Then they are suddenly worth hundreds of dollars. Seriously.

do you still need the persian persuader? i got an eyelander i can give you.

steam id: russellmz*

You the man! I’ll add you when I get home. Browse my inventory, I’ve got tons of stuff to trade.

Like crates.

According to the wiki, the recipe for the persauder is 2x katanas + scrap. If you’re on around midnight EST, I can get a persauder for you. No need to trade anything, I have some metal sitting around.

(apparently it was also nerfed recently, which is good, because it was pretty annoying to fight against.)

The good news is: There is such a group. The bad news is: They hold their meetings at 2fort.

That’ll work. A few hours on 2fort is liable to turn anyone away from computer games.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOO! Annual Halloween update coming. I’m back in!

So the annual Halloween update went live yesterday. New map, new “boss”, and more new cosmetic items than you can shake your head at.

Regardless of what you think of the tf2 bloat , the accompanying comics are always worth a read.

Payload Race features possibly some of the worst, most unenjoyable maps I’ve ever played in any FPS. What were they thinking with that?