The Team Fortress 2 Unofficial Official Thread

It is more hilarious that that picture portrays.

A confession – I finally crumbled and bought keys for all the crates I have amassed. Does this make me a bad person?

Also there is a new comic for those of us who like that sort of thing (cool, intelligent people).

How much did you spend? (Just curious.)

And, no. It doesn’t make you horrible.

Not if you got an extra Strange Grenade Launcher you’d be willing to trade. : p

But seriously you are likely now “steam wealthy.”

Did you buy them from the Steam store? You can usually buy keys from others at half the Steam store cost (~1.25 a pop.) You’ll either have to look for someone looking to trade keys for a steam game (pretty risk free) or do paypal though.

Also, if they’re pulling the same trick as last year (Halloween exclusive unusuals), it might be a good idea to wait for the Halloween update before uncrating.

Yeah I got them from the store. Im a bit nervous about trading directly with someone else.

So who is still playing this and what servers do they frequent?

My son just recently started a steam account, and we only just realized the difference between free and premium accounts (namely, backpack size - I have 300 slots, he’s stuck at 50). I was going to grab the “Upgrade to Premium” gift and trade it to him, but then read that any purchase will upgrade the backpack. So he’s looking for something to drop ~$5-10 of allowance money on. The main goal here is backpack room, but if he’s buying something anyway, would be handy to have something useful. Suggestions welcome!

What class does he predominantly play? And what’s his playstyle like?

Orcs Must Die 2 - you can play it together if you already own it - lot of fun (tho it is 15 dollars)

Mark of the Ninja is $5 (seems to be on sale today)

Oh! I’m sorry. I thought you meant from the Mann Co Store.

Yes, I meant from the MannCo Store, unless buying Mark of the Ninja somehow coverts his TF2 account to premium :)

He’s fairly good with most all classes, so I don’t know that he has a favorite. :P

Alright. I play Pyro, and I find the Phlogistinator to add an interesting new aspect to gameplay. It gives the Pyro a medic-esque bar to charge, with imaginably explosive and firey results once it fills up.

Whoops - thought you meant game!

I’d buy a map stamp for whatever map he really likes. Or a hat he likes. Hats are hatty. And desirable, apparently.

I wouldn’t bother with buying weapons at all, you can easily trade for basic weapons at the cost of one or two scrap each. Heck, it’s even all automated by bots now!

The very first one was this bot (no longer functional), which basically ran a profit by accepting 2 weapons, returning 1 scrap, and then reselling weapons individually for more scrap.

Thanks all. Many of the weapons are actually pretty cheap, but very good to know about the scrap market. Neither of us have looked into that much at all.

Another option is buying something of value to the automated trading sites, and then using those credits to get whatever you want.

For example, on tf2wh, if you buy and trade in 2 team spirit paints ($5) you’ll get roughly 32000 in tf2wh spacebucks. In exchange, you can get a hat for a few thousand credits, or any weapon you want for a couple hundred. Much better bang for you buck then buying from the official store.

I haven’t played tf2 in a while though, so my info may be woefully out of date.

Woah. That’s just crazy. A $10 phlogwhatever is only 310 credits, and sure enough it claims 32000 credits for the $5 in paint. It is like discovering a whole new game. Thanks!

Basically “market” prices for items are based on how common they are received randomly. Playing TF2 for 10 hours/week (capped) will get you 12 items on average. Almost all of those will be weapons, and certain hats and paints will show up very rarely. Not sure what non-payers get, probably less.

Everything that is “worth” more are not dropped and require actual money to acquire (via crates/keys or direct from the store). Also old stuff that doesn’t drop anymore.