The there-less Journey

Title The there-less Journey
Author Tom Chick
Posted in Game reviews
When March 19, 2012

I can groove on a good arthouse game. I don't mind short, experimental, or inscrutable. I'm the kind of guy who thought Bastion was deep, The Path was meaningful, and Gravity Bone was transcendent. I might even play Dear Esther one day..

Read the full article

Is it possible to "Like" specific turns of phrase? "Jump juice" is a good one.

As with most games striving for 'art', it's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes. I saw an experience and you saw mechanics, Tom. Such is the way it goes.
If only it had been more Emperor's New Groove. Maybe next time.

This confirms my suspicions. Having been entirely unimpressed by Flower, I feared the worst, but hoped for the best.

nice troll review

You can't imagine the frustration I felt when reading you didn't like the game. I guess that's an indication of how much I personally loved Journey; I thought it was such a wonderful, deep experience that I wish everyone would enjoy it as much as I did.

But alas, I know that tastes differ, and just telling them they're "wrong" won't make people change their minds.
Just... those of you who haven't played it yet? Don't dismiss it. Give it a try, keep an open mind. Journey might turn out one of the most inspiring gaming experiences you've had in years.

nice troll comment , here is a troll reply

MAXIMUM TROLLING: ENGAGE

I wonder if your experienced was colored by an ineffective partner. There aren't many ways to interact with your partner, true, but they can recharge your jump-juice by hanging close or charging up a note, which for me was reason enough.

Oh a trolling Review, goodwork

i can't unterstand, why metacritic and gamerankings added quarter of three reviews, it's a fucking shame

Totally Trolling...yep a totally trolling comment for your totally trolling review.Journey is Majestic,you Trolltastic Reviewer.

And yet another troll review from Tom Dickhead.

I think he's not trolling... He simply missed the point. I personally loved the game ( a lot) but i think it's not fit to everyone.

I really enjoyed Journey myself. I found it *constantly* picturesque and *often* rousing. I admit however that this may be significantly due to my experience as a game artist.

I can't disagree with much of your review though. I would have to be pretty indulgent to conjure sophisticated meaning from the game, and I think the puzzles and linear progression actually detract from the game just being a really good toy-like 'play' experience. If the takeaway really is something about journey > destination, then the gamey elements confound that message.

Still, I think this game stands as a valuable contrast to those many other games that purport to offer an epic journey.

In my opinion, people that don't like Journey fall into one of two groups. First, gamers that just don't appreciate an artsy game. These gamers are generally drawn towards more gritty "in your face" games such as Battlefield, or God of War. This doesn't mean they are any better or any worse, just that artsy games probably aren't their style. The other group, I believe, does not fully take the time to understand and appreciate Journey's emotional.. well, journey. The game is empty and void of life by design, not by chance. You are meant to feel utterly alone and Journey does just that. And as for the multiplayer, it is exactly as it should be -- having a glimpse of another faceless traveler in the vast, empty desert. The comfort that you are no longer alone on your journey, the companionship. Journey is a game for those deeply in touch with their emotions, or for those that will, just for a moment, allow themselves to open up and let new feelings take over.

I'm having a hard time working out if it's Playstation 3 owners who have trouble with dissenting opinions or if it's the "Games Are Art" crowd.

Hey, you know when you see some modern art and think "how is that art? I could have drawn that!"

This is very much the same thing. I hope people don't think you're being purposefully contrarian when you tell your friends you just don't get it.
PS. You're a philistine.

Reviewer was paid by Microsoft, or a troll. Or both.

Tom, your stuff is so good that through the years I grew to love it when you trash games that I find amazing. This is no exception.

I think you make some very good points. I feel we all want Journey to be a timeless classic, even though is just so very very close (but not yet there).

For all its shortcomings, like the underplayed cooperation or the shallow platforming, I did enjoy it immensely.

Great review.

MAXIMUM INSECURITY ABOUT ONE'S OWN OPINION: ENGAGE

Coming right after Larsen's comment, I can only hope this comment isn't serious.