The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

From the original post with the timeline in this thread:

July 18
Atari auctions its Star Control assets to Stardock for a reported $300-400k. (1)
Paul & Fred acknowledge in an email that Stardock owns the trademark for the Star Control name. (1)

July 21
On his online forum, as part of an early announcement to fans, Stardock CEO Brad Wardell states, “Atari doesn’t actually own the copyright on Star Control 1/2 so it’s not like one could make a Star Control 2 HD or what have you without a license from Paul Reiche. And even if we did have rights to SC 1/2 I wouldn’t touch them without his blessing.” (4)

July 22
-Stardock announces that it has acquired the rights to Star Control and intends to make a reboot inspired by Star Control II.
-Brad Wardell introduces himself to Paul in an email, announces his intent to make a new Star Control game, and asks to use Paul & Fred’s universe in exchange for royalties. He also asks if they would like to help make the new game. The next day, Paul & Fred respond saying they are willing to consider the possibility of a deal, and inform Brad of the status of their copyrights on the Star Control games as well as their distribution agreements with GOG. Brad responds “that is my reading of the agreement too.” (2)

That doesn’t seem to square with your statement

It sounded to me, even at the time back in 2013, that Brad knew what he was buying and what he still had to get from R&F.