The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

I am going to make a “Aliens vs Predator” game, but they will be totally DIFFERENT creatures just to be on the safe side.

At this point Stardock should just settle, especially since SCO isn’t doing all that well.

Doing otherwise is throwing good money after bad.

Especially when the magistrate bitch-slaps half of the complaint in one fell swoop.

Filing an injunction with the purpose of squeezing out a release window for a game, when facing legal proceedings which could be impacted by that release, is a dubious strategy.

True. There seems to be a lot of dubious strategerizing to go around with this whole fiasco, so who knows.

I wonder if folks who bought the game would be entitled to refunds if Stardock has the game barred from sale/release or had to remove content.

Hey, you should scroll up to my prior post where I said that most of this back and forth is just about increasing attorney fees in cases like this, until one side gets fed up and starts talking settlement.

FWIW, I agree with the judges ruling, as well as the notes that some of the bs coming from both sides is frivolous - which goes towards the wasted legal fees and bs.

Anyway at this point, they would have to settle because going to trial isn’t going to yield much for either side. By this recent ruling, the issue now is that if Stardock loses, they would be in a bigger damages hole than R&F would be. Worst of all, liability, E&O insurance won’t cover any part of this lawsuit for either side, since these don’t get covered.

That the game was basically DOA is also going to play heavily into what Stardock does at this point.

DMCA takedowns on Steam and GOG by Paul & Fred:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/271260/discussions/1/1742229167221237036/

I see he still is holding onto the idea of them not being the creators of SC2

I can’t imagine Valve would receive a letter like this and just take down a bigger game like this. Not a fan of this move either way. Hopefully this settles soon.

They were just coffee boys.

It is a shame things continue to escalate. Is there anything beyond the “nameless” Arilou that might be infringing in Origins? It doesn’t look like Valve has stopped selling it yet.

Brad mentions that this is unprecedented.

“Contractors on the classic DOS game”

I don’t get the DMCA complaint on derivative works. That’s not a surprise, though, I don’t get 90% of the actions taken in this legal fight.

This shitty situation continues to get shittier.

2q4n3f

He’s going to be fine financially. The people working on the game not so much, most likely.

Wasn’t he practically begging for this when he started including races that look damn similar to the races they created for the older games (and they have the copyrights to)? It seemed after that, the outcome was either going to be the games getting pulled, or them getting awarded a portion of the revenue - unless he settled.

Yea, he stated as much in the announcement:

Unfortunately, without the income from Star Control: Origins, Stardock will have to lay off some of the men and women who are assigned to the game.

I find it disgusting that Brad is playing the victim here on a lawsuit that he started, and using other people’s livelihoods to try and garner sympathy.

e: Not surprisingly, lots of posts being deleted in that thread.

I mean an established studio trying to steal an IP is kind of unprecedented.

Apparently Stardock are deleting tons of posts on the steam community page.