The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

So Brad has either had no communication with GOG or no commitment on their part. Interesting.

There are around 82,500,000,000,000,000,000 melodies that are 10 notes long.

In the future we do exhaust that, don’t worry; radio will still play the same 20 songs over and over again every day

How many of those melodies are beyond the skills/imaginations of the average garage band? How many hundreds of songs are based on 12-bar blues?

Don’t matter. Someone will autotune the shit out of it and the kids will love it.

How many combinations of boots and cats are there really, anyway?

For every Boomer that hates a Millennial, there’s a generation in between that hates them both.

-Gen X

There’s a scene in the “This Is Pop” XTC documentary where Andy Partridge (who admits he could never really play guitar normally, and the reason he started writing songs was because he simply couldn’t figure out how to play the most basic songs from the records he liked) picks up his guitar, lays his fingers randomly across the frets, and there on the spot writes a chorus so brilliantly catchy that it’s dying to find its way into a real song.

So…I’m gonna say we’ve got a ways to go.

I don’t think Stardock cares about GOG. The games are almost never on sale there, not even the old ones. They just upload the games there for the few extra pennies it’ll net them. Their focus is clearly on Steam, so I don’t think Brad will lose much sleep over Origins not being available there.

Hey did Derek ever deliver his bombshell? Just concerned I may have missed it.

He’s just waiting for legal to clear it. Should be any minute now. 90 days tops!

What if the bombshell is…us?

The bombshell is the tears we wept along the way.

The bombshell is that Reiche and Ford got a list of addresses from Steam and GOG and are driving to every US household that bought Star Control 1 and 2 to make perfectly sure the buyers know who created those games they bought.

Like fine wine, you cannot uncork it too soon.

I see that the reviews for Star Control: Origins on Steam have magically moved up from 62% (mixed) to 70% (mostly positive) in the days since the game’s been back on sale. Hmm…

It’s probably showing a “recent reviews” window. The overall has hovered between 69-70 since release. Since the number of reviews in the window is small, a few negative ones dropping out of the window and a few positive ones being added makes a huge difference.

There was definitely a PR push to get positive reviews in response to alleged “review bombing” (which seems to have consisted of one inappropriate review that was removed).

Looking at the page the “recent reviews” total 30, so it takes just a couple of reviews to create that kind of % shift.

The game is perfectly serviceable for what it is.

I don’t think it’s required for Steam scores to reflect some sort of public referendum on the legal battle.

Could be. The weird thing is that the “All reviews” things says the same thing.

Of course not. But the weird thing is that the ratings were going down ever since the game launched until they levelled out at around the 62% mark before the game was taken off Steam. Then it re-appears and seemingly magically has increased its score to 70%.

Just threw me off for a moment.

Brad was trawling for positive reviews on Twitter recently to counter act what he believes to be bad faith reviews. It seems to have netted him a spike of 30 or so positive reviews.

KotakuInActionInAction