The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

Why not? Win or lose, it’s all bad publicity for a project coming out in the near future.

Because I don’t recall him handling any of the other kerfuffles he’s had either privately or all that professionally.

It wasn’t private as of this post either…

I was referring to the lawsuit, not the development of Star Control.

Both sides have been far too public about their legal dispute to make any of their lawyers comfortable, but that’s their right as long as they have been advised of the potentially adverse consequences by their legal counsel.

Personally, if my client wouldn’t be quiet, I would fire them as a client - nothing good can come of it - you can only prejudice your case and aggravate damages. There is no upside at all - persuading third parties does not help once you’re in formal proceedings (and you are past the point of that working on your opponent) and can just cause damages.

Regarding people being skeptical that Paul/Fred are aware of this thread: there is virtually zero chance that their legal team is not following it, or they are incompetent. Having a plaintiff/defendant freely blab blab blab about the subject matter of legal proceedings is far too valuable ammunition to be ignored.

I figured Brad was talking about the entire thing in that post and not simply the lawsuits that came about when Stardock said the original creators probably didn’t even create the game and that Stardock thinks they own all of it and can do whatever they want

Both parties’ attorneys should sign up accounts at Qt3 and tell us what their favorite Phoenix Wright games are. Mine’s Trials and Tribulations.

Objection!

Danganronpa

I would be surprised if they aren’t, but this thread is the teeny tiniest spec of Brad’s online commentary about the case. I won’t clutter this place with links, but he’s been quite vocal over on the Star Control reddit for instance.

For sure. And you’d go through it all.

Oh agreed, it is hard to do a quote reply and then sound like I am agreeing without actually saying I agree…

Reading posts in other forums it seems the Stardock’s position sadly hasn’t softened as earlier posts and sheer optimism had led me to believe. The “they made this public” line is being harped on as well as the notion that even every bullet that Stardock has unloaded into its own foot over this is totally the fault of the lawsuit being made “public” and thus P&F must pay for every bit of damage done to Stardock’s reputation.

First this is a somewhat ridiculous thing to get so completely hung up on. A lawsuit was filed that made claims such as that P&F are not the creators of the prior games. A lawsuit is a matter of public record. Filing a lawsuit is literally a public accusation. Yet “making it public” apparently only counts when one writes to their blog that they are on the receiving end of a lawsuit. There is a difference of course in that a lawsuit filing, while public, is a bit obscure. The complaint at best boils down to “they mentioned at a shout the accusations we whispered against them”.

The other part of concentrating on “they made this public” is that it basically translates to “nobody was supposed to know”. When people are upset about actions you have taken, saying “you weren’t supposed to know about that” usually does not make things better.

So, I’m naturally a bit of a contrarian (I’m sure it would be impossible to tell from my posts in this thread!), but I think that’s a bit unfair. When there were disputes in my divorce, I really didn’t appreciate the fact that my ex started taking a legal argument of how property should be divided to our wider social circle / friends in order to win them over to her side. It had nothing to do with “you weren’t supposed to know about that”, but rather trying to tarnish my reputation among our shared friends and win them over was a pretty shitty thing to do… especially when her story was rather biased. :)

I’m not going to slag on P&F for taking the details of the dispute public because maybe they felt painted into a corner and they had to do something. But in general, when there’s a legal dispute to be had, I think it’s best to let the lawyers make the argument and let the court rule on who is right and who is wrong before throwing out accusations. The same holds true for Brad here and elsewhere, I just don’t find it professional to be talking about a lot of this stuff publicly. That said, I totally do get feeling the need to defend yourself once it does go public, especially to a community that you are part of. Like I said, I’ve been there.

Remember up until the lawsuit Stardock was publicly presenting their interactions with Paul and Fred prior to the lawsuit in a way that implied they were on good terms.

Because he has been very vocal not only about the proceedings, but running around attempting to portray things in a certain manner. If he had wanted it “handled professionally and privately in the first place”, he wouldn’t have been running around posting about it in the first place.

“People” were not actually skeptical that P&F were aware of the thread. And of course the Lawyers are following it.

Fair point. I’d separate the initial announcement about the suit from the later discussion and reveal of settlement terms. The former I can’t really see a problem with and the later can certainly be considered inappropriate.

If party A goes out there and says “Hey, we’re working this out with them and everything is ok, it’s just lawyers, no big deal everything is sunshine” while simultaneously sending party B a settlement offer that’s like “pay us a bunch of money, give us your IP, and then apologize to us publicly, you sons of bitches”, then I do not think it’s inappropriate at all for party B to talk publicly about the settlement offer. I mean, party A is out there misrepresenting it already.

Whether or not you think the above is a good summary of what happened probably influences how you feel about it, anyways.

So since I went through this too, I’m just going to give you my take on it… what your ex was doing ultimately made her look worse, and often the fathers have to stay quiet and hide or things don’t go well, because that’s just how shitty divorce can be. That might be partially dependent on where you live, but realistically that’s how it often goes.

So while you she misrepresented things to shared friends and it would be great if you could just let the court rule on it without all that, your real friends would know the truth and the rest is nothing you can do anything about, and if you had done something about it, you potentially could’ve paid dearly in the settlement.

Divorce sucks and I think this situation is different from a divorce because Paul & Fred never asked to be married to Stardock and in fact told them all along they didn’t even want to date. Not one bit. From the contracts, it looks like they didn’t even have a relationship to begin with.

Not sure why you wrote this and put that word in quotes.

You chose the term “people”, plural. But there does not appear to be anyone here who fit the your description of being skeptical of P&F’s knowledge of the thread. The sub-discussion starting with this post of Triggercut’s isn’t about that at all.