The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

There’s a reddit thread on this where it was pointed out that the release of part 2 of the DLC barely moved the needle in regards to peak concurrent players. Looks like it only went up to a peak of 81 on the Sunday after release (according to steamspy). It shows how few people who own the game care to continue playing it. Numbers that bad may have also been a factor in a decision not to keep burning money over the lawsuit (though of course Brad did claim it was costing him nothing because of insurance that was covering the legal costs).

I heard him quoted as saying that the insurance was covering his defensive costs, which would not surprise me. I would be surprised if his offensive costs were being covered, though.

You can get insurance to cover trying to steal someone else’s IP?

Queuing up an epic string of “I Told You So” posts.

Yeah, I think it just wasn’t that great a game. It was decent, but a lot of it is just repetitive, somewhat boring stuff. I think I put in about 30 hours to finish it, and I had no desire to play more or come back to it when new bits have come out.

I was curious how much detail you think would be publicly visible from a settlement. Do you think that there would be a public clarification of the rights status and such or will it be fairly opaque?

Obviously I am just putting you on the spot to speculate but I was curious what you thought.

A settlement will have to make the division of rights clear otherwise there’d still be a dispute.

Somewhat boring? Anyway, was anyone really surprised that it didn’t perform well? A niche title published by a niche publisher with virtually zero RPG experience? I also maintain that the writing wasn’t all that a lot of people thought it was cracked up to be (not a pun, by the way). Perfectly middling Sorcerer King-type stuff; not the kind you’d throw large wads of cash at, in my estimation.

Anyway, a settlement seems like potentially good news. Pity it had to take this long.

I was being polite ;)

yawn

Derek had this scoop like four months ago.

Not the hottest of takes. The writing is mediocre as tapioca pudding; a charmless, inoffensive rehash of themes visited in F&Ps game ( who had gleefully stolen and satirized their own nerdy influences).

I enjoyed the game for while it lasted, and have no desire to visit it again. I’d guess that people with no dog in the legal fight probably feel the same way.

Judge has signed on to delaying deadlines until June 3. Perhaps we will see a settlement by next week.

STARDOCK, VALVE, GOG, AND REICHE/FORD HEREBY STIPULATE AS
FOLLOWS:

1. Stardock shall have up to and until June 3, 2019 to file a Fourth Amended
    Complaint.
  2. GOG shall have up to and until June 3, 2019 to file a responsive pleading to
    Counter-Defendants’ Second Amended Counterclaim, and to respond to the aforementioned
    discovery.

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/6239751/132/stardock-systems-inc-v-paul-reiche-iii/

New proposed order and stipulation filed, proposing moving the deadlines from 6/3 to 6/7.

Where do you see the docs? I had just looked on the Court Listener page a few minutes before you posted and they were listed but the docs not available.

They’re on PACER.

So if settling with the Great Satan, how will fans react? Or are they weary of the fight as well? Some of the fans had gotten pretty tweaked about the lawsuit, on both sides.

I’d imagine most will just be happy if Ghosts of the Precursors gets made. I think those that would demand a pound of flesh are a tiny minority.

Also, which fans?

Pick any side. I believe there are rabid ones on either.

If by rabid fans on both sides you mean Stardock, sure.