The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

I didn’t mean it as a slight against them personally, I meant it related to the development of a real game being a sham.

Ah apologies. I will edit my post! Left the praise bit in. :) I have such respect for small game studios. Tough business.

None needed! I phrased it poorly and agree that it’s impressive that they got anything done at all. Too bad the actual game seems to have not made it this long. Would love to see what they did!

My emphasis added.

To be clear, shouldn’t that statement read, ‘Many years ago they allegedly stopped getting royalties…’
I may have missed something, but do we know this for a fact?

Yes, given that the games were not being sold anywhere for many years they would not have been receiving royalties.

Everything is “allegedly” until the courts run through it all and figure out what’s really happened and what counts for what. I’m surprised you singled out this one thing. Stardock alleges that P&F aren’t even the creators of Star Control, for instance.

But also this.

You should add this information to the OP

Apparently if they aren’t willing to piss away their retirement funds fighting Brad’s bs they aren’t worthy.

Interesting.

Thanks @Paul_cze for the link. Basically the interview sums up my opinion of how everything played out.

The thing is basically whether you believe Brad blatantly lies.

Edit: 2 industry veterans (very savvy and successful ones at that) playing the victim card right at the beginning biased me towards Brad’s version of events, I must admit.

Edit2: In case some may take offence at the phrase “playing the victim”, I get that impression from the communications released and how it’s played out in social media.

Yeah, coins definitely have two sides. I would be very hesitant about sending this to a jury, because most likely they would just flip it and see how it lands. From either perspective, I would like a judge that can study trademark/copyright law to be involved in making the decision.

I finally listened to the whole thing at work and Brad doesn’t strike me as some evil asshole…
I can understand that when Stardock paid 300,000 dollars for a “Star Control” trademark and some millions for development of new game, seeing someone else claim to make a game that is “true direct sequel to Star Control” is something that can’t be just let go, even if they are lead designer and programmer on the original games.

I don’t think he’s an evil asshole but I do think things have really escalated to an uncomfortable place in terms of Stardock’s lawyers are going to try to grab everything even remotely related to Star Control. That’s why it’s unfortunate both parties couldn’t come to terms, because once lawyers and lawsuits are involved things are going to get ugly. And that’s what we get here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don’t like it any more than you men.

Seriously though, I haven’t really seen this as a good guy vs bad guy situation, or a David vs Goliath. It’s a legal squabble over rights to a game, and to my eyes neither party has come out looking very good.

At the same time, he was all over the internet talking about how P&F were the only ones who could do a true sequel and how Stardock was doing an alternative timeline beforehand. Including on this forum.

I’m not going to pretend that I remember all the details of those posts, but there’s context. A “true sequel” as in a continuation of the Star Control 2 storyline doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s okay with them marketing it as the “Sequel to Star Control”.

Yup.

I mean, trademarking species names? Come on.

This was Brad’s post in the other thread when the spiritual sequel was announced:

Yeah it’s all out war. And from a certain standpoint, I get it. If P&F believe they have the rights to do what they’re doing, then absolutely I can see them sticking to their guns. From Stardock’s point of view, you have a massive project set to release in three months that is being threatened. No company is going to be okay with that kind of risk. If the lawyers are doing their job, they’re going to make sure that things are settled once and for all.

Which sucks, because again, I think Star Control: Origins looks like I might really enjoy it. And I’d love nothing more than to play a P&F Star Control type game. I’d buy both!

Yup. I suspect there was some sort of misunderstanding years ago that triggered all this, but nobody appears to have figured that out, so it’s lawyers, lawyers everywhere.

What a waste of money.

The project isn’t being threatened though. P&F have made no moves that would prevent SC:O from being made. Brad is falsely playing the victim when he tried to portray P&F as somehow trying to shut down development of his game. He is however actively trying to get P&F to take some kind of action by going back on his word and including their copyrighted material in his game.