The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

Literally the entire dispute hinges on the specifics of who owned (or, in the case of Atari, didn’t own) what, when. Complaining when people point out that you’re wrong on the most material issue is a really unique reaction.

You’re probably right, and I’ll keep an eye on it, but if it’s something people want to discuss, it should be fair game for discussion. There are definitely some people who shitpost because they hate Brad for whatever reason (including one who came back to post after years of being away), but so long as they refrain, I think we can leave this thread open.

-Tom

That may be what the court decides, I guess. We’ll see. I hope not, because SCO is actually a real product that’s almost ready for release and I am super excited to play a SC game after 25 years (and SCO is pretty damn good, so far). Ghosts is basically vaporware at this point, as in there’s literally nothing at all for it, they haven’t even started, and assuming it ever actually happens it’ll be half a decade away or more.

Nothing quite says “I’m a jackass” quite as much as using the phrase “white-knighting” without irony.

I imagine a few folks might pop in since nothing involving Brad can be discussed at brokenforum due to threat of legal action.

That sounded ironic to me. Unless you think he meant white knight literally. :)

-Tom

I’m not saying you can’t root for a team based on that criterion, but what I’m hoping is that the property rights issues get worked out properly based on copyright and trademark law. Based on my review of the documents, I think P&F have a stronger case, but sure, as you say, barring a settlement, eventually it’ll probably be up to the courts. “The party that makes the better game should win the argument” isn’t a standard I personally think is worthwhile.

I wish I had some irony for you, but this situation is full of people who are arguing solely based on their hatred of Stardock and their bro love for poor downcast Paul and Fred. I’m just trying to keep it from being entirely onesided.

But sure, start up with the personal insults if it makes you feel better.

In context, it sure looks like it was meant in that always fun, gamer-gatey way, without a trace of irony or self-deprecation.

EDIT: See?

I think we’ve passed over this a few times, but the idea that you can sue someone but your hands are completely clean, it’s really just the lawyers doing it, is absurd.

And so you trot out a phrase used by the most vile of misogynist and racist gamer-gatey dudes on the internet?

EDIT: by me. Unnecessary.

I know that it is tacky to link to reddit, but Brad has called them the creators too
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/comments/75dmw9/official_sequel_to_urquan_masters_ghosts_of_the/

Paul and Fred, the original creators of Star Control 1 and 2 are returning to create a spiritual successor to the Ur-Quan story!

Hmm, sounds to me like you’re unclear on what the word “irony” means. It also sounds like you’re looking for a fight while someone else is trying to participate in a discussion.

-Tom

NON-EDIT: I wrote that before your edit, so thanks for rephrasing.

Why can’t I like P&F and be happy for their success? Why do you and the stardock faq linked keep injecting their success as a negative?

I have no grudge against Brad, I posted a few times in the game thread before the legal stuff. I was excited to play it. I may still buy it. I find it telling that you have to lump me into some evil other group instead of discuss the matter at hand.

There’s probably a chance I’m maybe on the right track-ish…

Bleh, I really shouldn’t be participating in this thread. I’m going to bow out for the evening and revisit it later tonight to see if it should be locked. I don’t want it to sound like I’m singling anyone out, but I’ll be much happier if you guys can not be assholes to each other even if you disagree.

-Tom

Don’t worry about it Tom, I’m going to stop beating my head against a wall and bow out. Dissenting opinions don’t appear to be welcome in this thread. So far I’ve been called a Jackass, a Misogynist and a racist gamer-gatey dude. Doesn’t seem much point sticking around, and I’m sure that once I leave everyone will return to their anti-Stardock circle jerk in peace.

Pop BLeybourne into Google and it’s easy to see that he is WAY more invested in this than he’d like us all to believe.

Financially, nope. But otherwise, yes I am keen and involved in SCO and I like the way the game is going. It’s also real, and Ghosts doesn’t exist in any form yet, so I’m backing the horse that has been born already. I would love to see two SC games come out, but I’m unconvinced there will be one from P&F anyway, at this point.

OK, this time I am bowing out. After all the insults I have you googling me now? That’s pretty fucking creepy. Pal.

Do they hand out stardock icons to all founders? Your forum posts there seem to indicate they are from a Stardock employee.