The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

I’ve always found it mystifying how some people think “having an opinion on a game” is “bias” that should somehow invalidate said opinion.

Nearly everyone commenting on the RPS review said it mattered to them. OTOH, they already knew, but still, it’s as valid a datapoint as any other.
Further than that, for some of them, it’s not just about whatever merits the case has, it’s also about they way Brad decided to fight it in the court of public opinion. It seems to me a casual mention is worthy, just like it is in the other SC. Rest assured, it had no influence on their score.
For many on this thread, he also personally lied to us or omitted just enough to give the wrong impression about the matter or their intentions. Of course we care.

I can’t help but note that your entire contribution to this thread before jumping to attack one of the posters in it has been:

You coming here and assigning malicious intent to someone’s opinion rings a little hollow after this opening. You really have no position to talk about bias when given your opening generalization. If you want to play the “your opinion is invalid because you have an opinion” game, well, you should first disqualify yourself from having any opinion on this thread or the posters in it.

I communicate with Herve all the time. The last time was back in 2016 when he put all the Interplay IP into a bundle, and hired Webush Morgan to flog it for him. Then he refused to sell individual items from the bundle. They’re still not sold. I reached out to him shortly after that bundle; but at that time he had no intentions of separating the bundle. And it’s something that most of us in the biz have now come to realize that for as long as he has been trying to flog them, he only has 2 -3 IP in the bundle that anyone would be remotely interested in. You probably saw my thread on FB as well Fargo’s own thread in which Trent Oster and I were talking about our attempts to buy certain IP from Herve.

Believe me, if Herve was reasonable, I would have bought it as far back as 2010, long before I even continued to work on Line Of Defense.

Yeah, except I’ve made 19 games and millions of Dollars. They’ve made, what, two? Of which the second was a massive flop. Tell me again how you prefer their “sim cred much better”. I’ll wait.

Well that’s a very good clarification. It appears as if we’re both on the same page in some regard, but just wording things differently.

A lot of us were miffed and flabbergasted at the claim that P&L weren’t the creators, but I think a lot is lost in translation. I have reason to believe that Brad was 1) just being mean because that’s what happens when the gloves come off and babies are bitching and throwing out their toys with the bath water 2) looking at it from the standpoint of who funded the properties as being the creator/owner - which of course is pure bs.

You mean aside from the fact that everything you just posted is pure bs?

I’m OK with this.

Appreciate you telling me all that. Let’s me set the proper expectation about any further Freespace games.

Care to point out why Derek? I dont mind anyone disagreeing with me , I just dont see how anything I stated is false. Help me out a little here :)

Really? Are you aware that at the height of that bs, I was the ONLY one who stepped up and dared to brave the elements to go an DEFEND gamers on an SPJ panel with the likes of Milo Yianopoluous? No? Read my blog coverage on it. We even had to brave a bomb threat.

I too wrote at length in defense of the bs that most of were peddling that GamerGate was totally about the harassment of women in gaming, and totally not about ethics in video game journalism. Seemingly overnight most of you - once again - jumped at the opportunity to vilify a large subset of gamers, branded them as harassers just because a group of bad actors in the mix were doing what they do.

So does that mean I too am in “in support of GamerGate” and so I shouldn’t get to do my work? You know that’s bs, right? Hiring Baldwin has ZERO relevance to anything other than a group of you dislike him for supporting a furor that most in the “media” helped to create in order to deflect from the real reason that furor existed in the first place.

Give me a break.

You’re new to the Internet, are you? :)

ALOHAnet or bust.

They made Descent 1 and 2 and 3, and Freespace 1 and 2. Now the band that’s formed Revival has only made one game, that I backed on Kickstarter: Overload. And it is excellent. It’s precisely the Descent 4 that I was looking for.

No offense to your output meant, like I said, but I just prefer their style of games.

Here is the article about the bundle, you can email Joe Morgan at Webush yourself and ask about it.

I have seen first hand the harassment of women colleagues and friends by gamergaters and my ex boss had his flight diverted because of a bomb threat by the gamergate harassers.

That is the fact of the matter. Those things happened and still do happen.

Sorry about that, this forum sucks on mobile.

Do you think the deliberate hiring of someone involved in creating the gamergate harassment campaign is worth noting in a review?

Your post above is what I already responded to in another post where I was basically saying that it’s immaterial. I just happened to respond, didn’t see it posted, then created another longer post which had nothing to do with yours. lol!

No worries I get how internet comms especially on mobile is a pain.

I respectfully disagree but happy to chat at a later date or leave it there :)

Except you didn’t say any of that. You said: “No offense Derek, but I like those guys’ space sim cred much better.”

Then in your above post, other than the Freespace games we’re talking about, none of the games you cited as liking, fall into the “space sim cred” category.

ps: I’m not mad though; just amused :)

Wait, you don’t count Freespace 1 and 2 as space sims. I get that they’re arcade WW2 style space sims, but still, the topic at hand was acquiring the Freespace IP and continuing the Freespace series.