The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

IIRC, it was Arilou wallpaper art and arilou soundtrack files.

This thread has become like a minefield where I’m surrounded by Derek Smart posts I want to respond to, and only just before I set my foot down do I realize that he argues just to argue, doesn’t care if he knows what he’s talking about, and insults everyone to make himself feel superior.

I recommend everyone else quietly tip-toe out of the minefield, too.

What the ever living heck are you on about? I am pointing to Paul and Fred’s blog announcement and the name they announced for their game. I am not dying on any hill, I’m barely even arguing with you. I’m pointing out simple facts. I am not saying anything is set in stone or mind can’t change. I am not talking about the rules of evidence. I am pointing out the simple fact that when announcing and naming their game they did not use Star Control in the name. If you want to point to evidence that they now want to do so feel free. If you are just speculating why get so hyperdefensive when someone points out a simple and obvious fact that doesn’t align with your speculation that you need to start hurling insults?

You are so quick to heap abuse, declare people wrong and that they don’t know anything, usually without any support to the abuse, yet you constantly demonstrate you are completely and utterly confused about the case, about people’s statement’s, even it seems at time about your own statements. Perhaps you should calm down, stop trying to argue for argument’s or ego’s sake, and collect yourself before you continue posting.

if you can’t do that, please leave. You’ve already sidetracked the thread enough.

That’s your reading of my posts. My position hasn’t changed - at all. In fact, they’re pretty consistent.

• Brad closed the purchase in July 2013
  • Barely a week later, he reached out to P&L
  • Time passes…
  • FF to 2017 where by Oct 2017, all hell had broken loose and it was clear that during that period of time, and through the back and forth, it became clear that what Brad thought he bought, wasn’t going to allow him to make the game he wanted.

Please explain to me how anything I’ve stated in my posts, contradicts any of the above. In fact, I deliberately tried to see it from both Brad and P&L perspectives so that I could remain objective, and not just wasting my time shaking my fists at the clouds.

…and once again, you add nothing of value to the thread.

Nice try.

• I said that I couldn’t imagine them making a game without Star Control in the name.
  • You claimed that my “imagination” is misguided because that’s precisely what they have said they were doine.
  • Then you use the above as “evidence” that my IMAGINATION was misguided.

I continue to laugh at the ludicrousness of it all.

You know, this is why defamation lawsuits are ultra difficult to win. You know why that is? Because the courts have ruled that there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN HELL to determine what a person was THINKING at the time they made a certain statement because that would ultimately play into INTENT.

But here you are, arguing with me that my IMAGINATION isn’t a thing because, you know, someone else said a thing that contradicts it. Somehow you’re weighting a statement (by P&L) which could change at any moment in time, against my imagination - which is basically a thought process based on a personal conclusion and opinion that I am wholly entitled to.

I am going to just ignore everything else that you wrote because it’s not worthy of my time, and you’re just trying to deflect from the real merits of your silly argument.

I would never argue that. Your imagination is definitely a thing.

But seriously. I am not arguing that. You can imagine whatever you want. You are free to speculate. I am free to also speculate and back my speculation with evidence like their actual announcement where they didn’t do what you speculate.

You are welcome to continue having whatever argument you imagine we are having if you please. You can even fill in both sides of it as I’m getting off your crazy train at this stop.

I think what Derek meant initially is, yes they announced the name as gotp but since it’s not released, it can still change. Until the product is tangible and probably even after, the name can be changed to sc:gotp (Once they legally can that is).

Well, of course anything can happen. Doesn’t seem real probable, but sure, it could happen.

P&F playing 4D chess while we are playing “i’m not touching you”.

Stardock’s attempts to test the edges of copyright infringement do feel like a game of “I’m not touching you”.

Thank you.

Interesting stuff. I’ve thought about trying to buy the Freespace IP from time to time.

You claimed repeatedly that Brad didn’t understand what Stardock had actually bought, and only found out about it much later. Again, this is what you wrote:

it is that he paid good money - in good faith - for something. Only to find out YEARS down the road when he tried to exploit the benefits of what he BOUGHT, that it was “tainted” by claims which weren’t previously known

It doesn’t contradict what you wrote in the latest post, since your last post is. But these phantom claims that came out of nowhere years later don’t fit in at all with the facts of the case. You’re refusing to admit this mistake, which makes it impossible to understand what your actual position is.

I stand by that statement because the sequence of events proves that to be a fact. You can it ignore all you want.

If back in 2013 Brad felt he didn’t have rights to certain aspects of the IP - as his emails to P&F would suggest - then in 2017 suddenly (after getting no traction from P&F) he outlines to P&L what he thinks he legally owns (and was just trying to play nice with P&L and not ruffle feathers - precisely as his emails would suggest), how does that not support my statement? Why else would he not have outlined in 2013, what he then outlined in 2017 and which led to the lawsuit?

There is no “mistake” to admit to. We’re all offering opinions on our reading of what has been presented. What makes you believe that your opinion and interpretation are more accurate than mine or anyone else’s? I’ll wait.

Contact Joe Morgan at Webbush Morgan. Good luck! :)

I don’t know what the relevance of any of this is. Once again, this is what you wrote:

it is that he paid good money - in good faith - for something. Only to find out YEARS down the road when he tried to exploit the benefits of what he BOUGHT, that it was “tainted” by claims which weren’t previously known

What exact “claims which weren’t previously known” are you talking about here? Everyone, including Brad, agreed from the start that Reiche and Ford owned the copyrights and that Stardock could not use the SC2 lore without a license.

Mostly the way your interpretation is incoherent and contradicts the facts. It’s almost like you just made shit up in the beginning without knowing anything about a case, and are now refusing to own up to it.

Is that timeline accurate?

I thought part of Stardock’s claim against P&F was that Brad reached out to them before buying the rights and they made no effort to correct him.

As far as what’s public, yep. I think Brad said so last time, but I might be misremembering.

This is allegedly Stardock’s CEO in the private discord channel threatening to “eliminate” fan communities.