The Third Doctrinal War -- Stardock, Reiche/Ford, and Star Control

I disagree, I think most people here want to get behind Stardock and Brad. It’s just the presented facts make that hard to do.

Exactly. Does anyone here actually not want both games to be made?

The concern at this point fot me and I’d assume most others is that contrary to prior statements from Stardock about not wanting to prevent F&P from making a followup their recent actions make it clear they indeed actively and unashamedly trying to prevent it, and that their stance is a stubborn one of no settlement without full capitulation. Stardock’s position about refusing the reasonable looking settlement offer from F&P reads like “Hey, they might try to do to us what we’re doing to them!” and rather than work out details that prevent such a possibility by defining what is and what is not covered by the copyright they are going for a scorched earth strategy.

I honestly believe that Paul and Fred don’t.

The details (not the summary) of their settlement offer give them the right to entirely shut down SCO, which is why Stardock cannot agree to it (the summary obfuscates it, and is therefore quite dodgy IMO).

See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcontrol/comments/87a3wg/stardocks_relationship_with_the_sub_recently/dwbhb46/

I’ve read the actual document and you are transferring a lot of intent into it. That said the fear that without properly defined boundaries on F&Ps IP they could act to hinder or stop development is legitimate and something that can be worked out.

Still, possibility doesn’t define intent. There is little else but the assumption that P&F actively want to shut down to support the notion that that is their goal. As I said, it comes off as: They might want to do to Stardock what Stardock is doing to them.

If F&P made clear such an intent I’d be just as quick to criticize them for it. I want both games (and more after those).

I’ve also got to point out what you linked does Stardock no favors.

“It is true the situation is fluid.”
What a perfect example of a damaging tone deaf statement. I am amazed the lawyers and PR people haven’t yet conspired to kidnap Brad and lock him in a cabin with no internet.

If one’s word and keeping to it is subject to the fluidity of the situation what good is it? What kind of response is that to a question about publically saying one thing while actively doing another?

Paul and Fred aren’t here.

I personally doubt that. But you’re right that they are not here officially.

You really think they are here hiding under aliases? Really?

You can see everyone’s posting history, how long it goes back and what they have commented on. Who do you think is one of them or a PR person in their employ?

Ironically there is indeed one poster here whose history shows they joined recently only to discuss this issue.

Huh??

That one really made me laugh out loud.

I guess BLeybourne thinks since he signed up only for this discussion here, why not P&F.

You’re silly @BLeybourne. :P

FTFY.

Guys, I have to confess something. I joined Qt3 16 years ago under a pseudonym because I wanted to build a real connection with gamers of all stripes and not be treated differently because of my own experiences with the industry, both PnP and on the computer.

BLeybourne has caught me, however, and all good things come to an end.

I am Paul Reiche III.

No, I am Paul Reiche III.

(Are we doing an “I am Spartacus” thing now?)

Well… I’m Fred then!

I meant, as I’m sure you knew, that I’m sure they are reading all of this (hi Paul/Fred, longtime fan - believe it or not) as much as I am also quite sure Brad is still reading it.

But go ahead, mock away. That seems to be how discussion happens in this forum.

Splitter.

So is if offtopic to ask what connection there is (or has been implied) between the original SC and Star Fleet Battles? I saw some weird reference to it on (I think) the SC forum… I have not played any SC game but played a TON of SFB back when I was young & that accused correlation made me go “hmmmmm”.

[And no, I’m neither Brad, Paul nor Fred]

There is a member of Stardock’s forums who is pretty passionate about SFB (he claims to have been involved in its creation, although I don’t see his name in the credits anywhere, so I don’t know).

Anyway, his view is that Star Control is basically a computerised version of SFB and he feels Paul and Fred should acknowledge that. Earthling looks like the Enterprise, Illwraith looks a lot like a Klingon ship, etc etc. Super melee plays a lot like SFB battles, and so on. He has a reasonable argument for actually a surprising number of the SC1/SC2 ships and what they were taken from in SFB.

I can’t talk to any of it because I haven’t ever played SFB, but as far as I know, that’s the only SC/SFB link that anyone has proposed. Hope that answers your question.

That way insanity lies. Literally.
The person in question worked on some Star Fleet Battles board game stuff. He tried to get into making computer games but wasn’t ever picked up.

I’m not joking when I say there is a severe mental health issue in play. Whatever the causes and developments that went through the person in question claims (and endlessly repeats in every post) that basically all space games are entirely based on SFB without giving credit.

He also “invented” something called Rube that describes reality and time and is god. He planned to make computer games with it.

To be fair, he might be accurately describing Rube, and Rube might indeed be currently controlling reality and producing all the games we currently enjoy. We can’t say for sure.

Another website I enjoy had some discussion on this issue a few weeks ago. If anyone is interested you can check out their take on the situation here: