The Thread just about the Leaks of the scale of NSA snooping

Probably. Whenever something happens the security services are quick to come up with their wish lists, and the politicians, eager to show the sheeps that they are “doing something! since something must be done!” will pass through whatever until they have enough time to reflect and think.

Cue todays “Leaks” to the press that a Belgian minister suggested that the Paris attackers had use Playstation 4 chat to communicate and some “expert” suggesting that the terrorists were communicating in Call of Duty by spraypainting the secret message with bullet decals…

When people throw around the term sheeple I think of xkcd.

An arstechnica article about some of the latest info on what kind of intel GCHQ gathers, why and how etc. Quite interesting, and seemingly pretty moderate:

‘Internet of Things to be used as spy tool by governments, says US intel chief’:

No surprises here, i’ve always thought one of the main reasons for this drive was for this purpose (from Windows 10 to Google etc).

Wikileaks has NSA spying on Ban Ki-Moon and Merkel in private meetings, as well as other high-end staffers at UT and WTO. Rest of world understandably upset.

Interestingly, some of the reddit chatter is about some of this being COMMINT GAMMA, the highest level of classification ever leaked/published.

GCHQ in hot water over ‘blanket’ data gathering, since the 1990’s!

‘UK spy agencies have collected bulk personal data since 1990s, files show’:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/21/uk-spy-agencies-collected-bulk-personal-data-since-1990s

And in the usa, there might be an investigation into the recent insecurities of mobile phones:

‘US congressman calls for investigation into vulnerability that lets hackers spy on every phone’:

So, the UAE hired a bunch of ex-US government hackers, and this happened. They developed a way to get into any iPhone just by sending a text message. No clicking-on-a-link required.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-spying-karma-exclusive/exclusive-uae-used-cyber-super-weapon-to-spy-on-iphones-of-foes-idUSKCN1PO1AN

The ex-Raven operatives described Karma as a tool that could remotely grant access to iPhones simply by uploading phone numbers or email accounts into an automated targeting system. The tool has limits — it doesn’t work on Android devices and doesn’t intercept phone calls. But it was unusually potent because, unlike many exploits, Karma did not require a target to click on a link sent to an iPhone, they said.

In 2016 and 2017, Karma was used to obtain photos, emails, text messages and location information from targets’ iPhones. The technique also helped the hackers harvest saved passwords, which could be used for other intrusions.

That sounds like a god-awful wide security issue on iPhones that needs to be patched up. Not working on android also makes me wonder if it’s iMessage related.

A while back there was talk about this issue, related to how iMessage handled URL thumbnails:

But I could also see it somehow related to iCloud, which has had it’s own security issues and is frequently enabled to back up iMessage messages.

EDIT: Hrm … this tidbit from the article seems to point out that it may have been related to that bug, timeline-wise anyway.

It isn’t clear whether the Karma hack remains in use. The former operatives said that by the end of 2017, security updates to Apple Inc’s iPhone software had made Karma far less effective.

The title for this thread is bad for my health.

What do you expect from AMD?