Liberals also say and do stupid shit

This. I’m a vegetarian (NOT a vegan, fwiw) with a kid who loves hot dog-related food, and I learned quickly that the ones which didn’t pretend to be hot dogs were far and away the best.

In general, things that pretend to be meat are kind of crappy.

The exception to this is some buddhist food… those guys can make some amazing fake meat, but they’ve been practicing for a few thousand years.

Is that true? I thought making flour look and taste like meat is a relatively recent phenomena. I grew up with my grandmother eating plain vegetables and flour and fruits for her buddhist belief. Nothing fancy like today.

What is this Verrit thing everybody is going on about?

Yeah, Buddhists have been making meat analogues for ages. China was primarily a meat eating society prior to the rise of Buddhism, and so they put some effort into making vegetarian food appeal to folks who eat meat. That’s when they developed tofu originally, along with seitan.

Some of the best fake meat I’ve ever had was in Buddhist restaurants. Yuba can be made into something which is very chicken like.

It’s a collection of verified factoids that you can easily post to Twitter. The post includes a confirmation code you can use to look up sources.

It’s occurred to some people that services like this could be used by Twitter/Facebook to demote fake news, and the right wing backlash has already started.

Example:

It’s a social media sharing thingy where you can put a quote on a card and get it fact-checked (verrit-fied) with a number confirming it to be true. Seems designed to combat all the fake news. I’m skeptical that we need such a thing.

Verrit won’t help. The “fake news” people will just refuse to accept that it’s true just like they already do with Snopes.

It’s easier to fool a man than it is to convince him that he’s been fooled.

Yeah, “WHO is an agency controlled by a Big Pharma and the Zionist UN neoliberal world government to hide you from the truth that Ebola and diseases are created by them”, so citing it is useless.

oh and I’ve had WHO conspiracies thrown at me from both sides of the spectrum/horseshoe.

Conspiracies are definitely a good argument for the horseshoe theory tbh

By itself it might not do much. But if Twitter ever decides it wants to demote/obscure/ban fake news, then it would need help from traditional news media as well as fact checkers like Verrit.

That would require Twitter to have a conscience.

Back in the early 90s, there was a pub at Vanderbilt University that had these patties called “veggie burgers” that were really damned good. No idea where they were sourced from. I’m a carnivore through and through, but if more vegetarian/vegan food tasted like that, a lot more people would be happy to eat it.

Imagine not letting random people steal your shit and potentially harm or kill you. You fucking monster.
You should call the police and let them do the killing. I’m betting Howdy also has locks on his door. The heartless fucker.

Heh, that account.

If forming armed leftist groups becomes the new craze amongst millennials times will get interesting.

Dedicated to armed self defense.

But not really, because that would be wrong.

A very good, and beautifully written article A beating in Berkeley on liberal stupidity.

As white supremacists go, Joey Gibson makes for a lousy one. For starters, he’s half Japanese. “I don’t feel like I’m Caucasian at all,” he says. Not to be a stickler for the rules, but this kind of talk could get you sent to Master Race remedial school.

And it gets worse. The founder of Patriot Prayer—a Vancouver, Wash.-based operation that sponsors rallies and marches promoting freedom and First Amendment rights along with all-purpose unity—also spews hippie-dippie rhetoric like “moderates have to come together” and “love and peace [are] the only way to heal this country.” Joey tends to sound less like an alt-right bully boy than a conflict-resolution facilitator or a Unitarian Sunday school teacher…

Despite all this, you’d have thought from the avalanche of alarmist walk-up stories that Gibson and friends would be dancing in a “Springtime for Hitler” kick line. Donald Trump, of course, who draws frequent Hitler comparisons in some quarters, has already set nerves on edge with his nativist rhetoric, perpetually divisive style, and what’s widely perceived as his winks ’n’ nods to white nationalists. But in the wake of the recent white supremacist hoedown in Charlottesville—a cesspool of racial hatred that resulted in the death of anti-racism activist Heather Heyer when a Nazi fanboy drove his Dodge Challenger into her and 19 others—opportunistic leftists/Democrats have been on the prowl to paint everyone to the right of Angela Davis as a dangerous racist lunatic.

It’s definitely not well-written. Is this supposed to be a suspense story? Because I still don’t know what happened to poor Joey Gibson, and I’m already ten paragraphs into this snarky mess.

No matter, Pelosi had lots of company. Sen. Dianne Feinstein wrote a letter to the Park Service, expressing her dismay that Crissy Field “will be used as a venue for Patriot Prayer’s incitement, hate and intimidation.” The mayors of San Francisco and Berkeley denounced the group, too. Conservative news outlets subsequently revealed that Berkeley’s mayor, Jesse Arreguin, was a Facebook member of BAMN

Pelosi, San Francisco, and Berkeley, oh my! I think this is where I was supposed to be booing, but instead I stopped reading. Joey was already a distant memory.

Say what you will about Trump, at least he gets to the point.

Given the title, I assume someone gets beaten at the end. Hopefully the author.

Oh, man. Now Verrit does belong right in this thread.

https://verrit.com/

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/904484186291089408

The effort to silence and invisibilize Hillary Clinton and her voters continues unabated since the 2016 election. In fact, if the frenzy over Verrit’s launch is any indication, the hostility has intensified. But that won’t deter us from serving the needs and aspirations of our community, no matter how desperate the attacks.

-Peter Daou

If you want to be the trusted, factual, objective, verification service for the internet, then throwing in 100% with Hillary Clinton is guaranteed to get you ignored by the very people you’re trying to convince.

A case of right, but dumb.