Liberals also say and do stupid shit

“Officer, I was walking along minding my own business, and this guy jumped out of the bushes with a gun and demanded my money! It was Timex! I’d know that sneering, too-smart-for-his-own-good, sorta-libertarian face anywhere! Actually, I think I’ve got his address on my phone if you give me a minute…”

Ya, that was the case which I pointed out as absurd… where you were mugged by a guy who you actually knew.

You’re right when 5% of a group is adjudicated 40% of the time, it’s totally a minority of incidents.

Also thanks for correcting my mistake. Black dudes are only 8 times as like to be rapists. Glad we sorted that out, I’ll forward the info to Spencer to save him some time.

Yes. But like I said, we could literally be talking about two black guys and three white guys. There is a difference, but it’s not statistically significant.

Except we’re talking about 4 black guys and 96 white guys.

Well, presumably some of those white guys are Asian or Indian or whatever, but it’s still only 4 black dudes.

You can’t consider those statistics are at all representative. The only way the statistics could be valid, assuming an equal likelihood of a black guy and a white guy committing a sexual offense, is if >95% of all reported sexual offenses by black guys are false. So you’re choices are: the statistics aren’t representative, women are overwhelmingly likely to be lying about sexual offense, or black men are much more likely to commit sexual offense. Of these three choices, I’m inclined to pick door #1.

Yeah, I bet all those stats about cops razzing black dudes are fake too.

AllLivesMatter

Perhaps you’ve discovered option 4: Not comprehending math.

In the 2013–14 academic year, 4.2 percent of Colgate’s students were black. According to the university’s records, in that year black male students were accused of 50 percent of the sexual violations reported to the university, and they made up 40 percent of the students formally adjudicated.

As best we can tell, Colgate isn’t an outlier. Yoffe notes that male students of color are “vastly overrepresented in the cases I’ve tracked.” Harvard University Law Professors Janet Halley and Jeannie Suk, who pay attention to Title IX cases and have written about the lack of due process for accused students, share this impression. I do as well.

Lack of data could be dealt with by aggregating data from multiple years and colleges. But there’s a fifth option: the numbers are statistically significant, but there is some confounding factor.

The original source story from The Atlantic mentioned a couple of things ignored in the Reason article. First the numbers at this particular college were also skewed by a factor of 10 also for Asians. And second, apparently there are a lot of foreign students involved in these incidents. (Unfortunately no numbers on that). So the problem could plausibly be men from e.g. African or the Middle Eastern countries having very different ideas on appropriate behavior compared to the west.

(And if that were the underlying cause, why wouldn’t it be reported? Because Americans have this strange desire to look at all things through the prism of skin color.)

See, that is a response and worth considering.

I could see it being a cultural thing with foreign students. I could also see it just being good old-fashion fear of the mandingo or whatever.

CBS Legal Exec fired for callous Facebook post calling Las Vegas victims “Republican gun toters”.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-las-vegas-shooting-live-updates-cbs-fires-executive-for-deeply-1506969657-htmlstory.html

A lesson in how to destroy your career and social life with one careless post, not to mention giving the rabid right wing propaganda machine that you abhor a huge win in the process.

On the other hand, I distinctly recall seeing numerous social media posts after the Orlando Pulse shootings proclaiming wonderful sentiments like “49 less liberals in the world!” and “This is God’s punishment for the gays.”. I wonder how many of those people lost their jobs? I guess there is a big difference between a Legal VP at CBS and the guy that changes your oil at Jiffy Lube.

I can’t even.

/chants “ACLU, you protect Hitler, too.”

They are digging their own graves to line up in the front of them for the Trumpstaffel. Fools.

There is so much stupid loose in the world right now and so much of it coming from the far left. Stuff like this just plays into the right wing rhetoric about intolerant PC crap.

What’s interesting about liberal college illiberality is that it doesn’t match up up with traditional forms of radicalization. Normally the students have been “radicalized” by humanities/lit/specialty professors and students, or at least, so goes the trope. Today these students are radicalized by social media before they get to college. They’re using terms like intersectionality that - which may well be accurate and insightful in the right context - weren’t taught to them from the “educational” system. These ideas may have been formulated by “academia” 10-20 years ago but their modern dissemination and uptake into wider society has been spontaneous and undirected aside from adjacency to identity political self-segregation on social media.

I’ve actually been told this is not the case. In fact I won a HOV violation ticket where it was my word against a police officer. In the end, on examination, he faltered a bit and my confidence in my version of events prevailed.

Municipal police aren’t that impressive. They can be easily made to look foolish in court.

What’s the big deal here?

A student apparently made up an assault, the school (and police) investigated, the school (and police) dropped the complaint due to insufficient evidence, the student sued, and the school prevailed.

So what? This is an example of the system working as intended.

That European “free speech” sure is better than actual free speech.

Ellie Evans, 24, held up the placard at the August parade to protest against the party’s policies on gay marriage.

The investigation was prompted by a complaint from DUP politician Jim Wells, who told the Guardian that the slogan constituted “incitement to hatred and potential public disorder”.

“This ‘eff The DUP’ placard is exactly the same,” he went on. “I don’t mind if they hold up banners criticising the DUP, saying we are idiots or whatever. But to use a swearword is tantamount to an incitement to hatred and potential public disorder.