Liberals also say and do stupid shit

Pssshhhhhh yeah, caring about people’s feelings is lame! This unnecessary feature that no one wanted or cares about is way more important.

Fuck pragmatism and practicality, lets design the world based on the emotions of the Twitterati. The selfie generation are the most important people in the world.

They’re more important than something that is essentially meaningless, yes.

And your ideas quickly lead to not caring about anyone, not magically making us care about the people who need to be cared about that you listed some posts ago.

I don’t believe 10% of the population has an eating disorder. That’s absurd, unless feeling guilty about eating too many cupcakes is an “eating disorder”

I dated a girl with an eating disorder, like a legit one that had her in a group home. Over diagnosing and self diagnosing this shit is more liberal stupidity, and it detracts from people actually suffering from an illness.

A fucking cupcake is not offensive. It’s a cupcake.

tbh the notion of cupcake outrage is so absurd I wouldn’t be surprised this is a 4chan false flag op

I’d buy it, though it likely ignores magnitudes of said disorders.

I mean I’ve dated at least 2 women that had eating disorders of some sort, though they’d mostly contained and dealt with it by the point I knew them, it was still a thing that would come up once in a while.

Either you are moving the goalposts deliberately, or you might not be aware that there’s an entire emotional spectrum between mild distaste and triggered horror over past traumatic events.

The article we are discussing, and the Google Maps feature we are discussing, was pulled because Google correctly identified a large group of people who might find it distasteful or insensitive. Not because some vocal fringe minority had a conniption. I’m not denying there was a vocal fringe minority conniption, because one can find a vocal fringe minority conniption about virtually anything.

You do realize that people talking about false flags is the modern equivalent of people from a generation ago wearing tinfoil hats don’t you?

That was a very manly post.

It’s not meant to be manly just rational. There are 2 million opioid addicts in the US and you’re telling me there’s more than 10 times that many people with bulemia or anorexia?

My googling says it’s 3%. Liberal stupidity is exaggerating stats to suit your anti cupcake agenda.

There is also a DSM-IV classification for eating disorders - not otherwise specified, with these criteria:

Meet all criteria for anorexia nervosa except their weight falls within the normal range
Meet all criteria for bulimia nervosa except they engage in binge eating or purging behaviors less than twice per week or for fewer than three months
Purge after eating small amounts of food while retaining a normal body weight
Repeatedly chew and spit out large amounts of food without swallowing
Do not meet criteria for binge eating disorder

It has a prevalence of about 4-5%, add that to the 3% or so for anorexia plus bulimia and you’re pretty close to 30 million. Note that prevalence means lifetime diagnosis, not necessarily current diagnosis.

I like cupcakes. I even had one for lunch. I abhor the anti-cupcake agenda.

So should we end all dairy advertising because there are so many people who have lactose problems?

As usual when dealing with indignant outrage, the answer is found in a simple cost-benefit analysis.

What’s the objective value of dairy advertising?

What’s the objective value of cute little cupcake icons on Google maps?

I find it hard to believe that 40% of the population is obese, but apparently that is true.

Madness.

Nah, that’s easy to believe. Just look around!

OMG you presented facts!! You are so awful!

There might be 30,000,000 Westerners starving themselves to death whilst being surrounded by food, but I bet you can’t find 30 people offended by cupcakes.

This is the point of the argument. I do not believe googlecupcakes are offensive and dangerous to 30,000,000 people. I’m almost positive there aren’t more than 30, and quite frankly, they shouldn’t be driving product development aimed at 3,000,000,000

People with lactose intolerance are not usually increasingly likely to engage in milk drinking after being triggered by watching a dairy ad. And yes, I said triggered quite deliberately. I spent a year doing my clinical psychology Ph.D. internship in a mixed in / outpatient Eating Disorder (ED) program, and the concept of being triggered is very real in the context of mental illness, particularly ED.

If there’s Liberal Stupidity to rail about, I’d like to put forward the misuse of the word “triggered” when it’s not appropriate. When it got coopted by those without a mental illness that actually involves triggering (e.g., PTSD, eating disorder), it got turned into a word of ridicule.

And finally, I have no idea if someone seeing a little cupcake icon to invite them to walk would potentially trigger a binge, or excessive compensatory exercise in someone with ED. It has never come up with a client in my experience, but other seemingly innocuous cues were identified and they’re all around. And intensely personal, in some cases. Does that mean software developers should accommodate all potential triggers? Impossible to do, but offering choices to minimize potential harm, like not forcing cupcake walking icons by default, is a small concession with a significant chance of potential harm reduction. So, no, I’m not advocating something like banning war-based video game advertising to not trigger someone with PTSD, for example, but I wouldn’t want the default ring-tone on the iPhone X to be the sound of gunshots, either.

Well said sir. I hadn’t put much thought into the concept of triggering and mental health, but in hindsight, I can see how coopting the term to indicate any strong negative reaction can definitely effect the real mental health issues that people might have that can be triggered.