Liberals also say and do stupid shit

“You are part of an in-group, therefore you don’t matter” is a feature, not a bug, of this particular liberal-adjacent stupidity.

There were a lot of reasons why some leftists opposed the TPP, but as I recall they generally revolved around its effects on Americans. For example, it supposedly would have allowed corporations to sue local governments over laws that affected their profits, it enshrined corporate-friendly IP laws, and of course there was unease over potential outsourcing of jobs.

Concern over labor/environmental protection in Asia was at best secondary in importance among the Sanders left.

A contemporary account:

Also presumably a big faction of the anti-TPP crowd, at least I hope so since I would count myself among them, is all for a trans-pacific partnership of some kind and would hope our leadership would continue working for the best deal possible rather than making a ridiculous show of “strength” by putting out a big pouty lip, stomping their feet, and taking their ball and going home.

Re:TPP.

Biggest flaw is that large chunks appeared to be written by US industry to get around US Law.

Environmental considerations, IP provisions, etc.

But blowing it up ignores the primary reason for it, trying not to cede control of the region to China economically.

This whole article falls apart as soon as you realize that transgender women are not men.

Parenthetically, I am always puzzled by conservatives such as this one, who apparently find it difficult to reconcile mutable gender with their need to form gender stereotypes. “How can men be dangerous if men can be women?”, he writes. The weird thing is that they have no difficulty trotting out other stereotypes for labels that are even more mutable.

So then, how can Muslims be dangerous if Muslims can become Christians? How can North Koreans be dangerous if North Koreans can become Americans? And what do I do if I look at someone and can’t tell if they an American or not?

All that one can do with nonsense, in the end, is dismiss it.

and then non-passing/non-traditional beauty standards were applied, and now there’s a subset of trans women who do not take medication, have not had surgery, do not wear makeup and do not wear womens clothes.

and asking someone who looks and sounds exactly like a cis male if they are a cis male is transphobic if they fall into this subset.

So unless cis females want to be called transphobic or terfs they have to just shut up and just to tolerate whoever wants to walk into their safe spaces, be it a non-passing trans woman or a sexually violent cis male who verbally identifies as a trans.

The winner is this oh so confusing brave new world of ours are the people who have penises. Funny that.

Let’s see, what’s—oh, it’s Matt Walsh (not the funny one). As someone on the extremely conservative end of Qt3’s population, I always hate that guy’s articles. He just stirs controversy by being an asshole whether he’s arguing for something I would theoretically agree with or not. Nothing to see here.

I went to a haunted house last month. This one had some statues, and sometimes the statues weren’t statues but people who’d jump out with chainsaws or whatever. We walk into this room that’s themed like a butcher shop for human meat. The butcher was standing there with his bloody cleaver, and I knew he wasn’t a statue and I said, loudly, “That’s a dude, that’s a dude,” warning my team.

So the butcher then jumps out and screams, “DID YOU JUST ASSUME MY GENDER?” chasing us with his cleaver. I cried “He’s chasing us!” as we ran, and he yelled “THOSE AREN’T MY PRONOUNS!”

And that is the future liberals want. Scariest haunted house ever.

The gender-assuming “patron” is actually another paid actor there to increase the horror for properly woke attendees. Gasp!

asking someone who looks and sounds exactly like a cis male if they are a cis male is transphobic if they fall into this subset.
So unless cis females want to be called transphobic or terfs they have to just shut up and just to tolerate whoever wants to walk into their safe spaces, be it a non-passing trans woman or a sexually violent cis male who verbally identifies as a trans.

By the same token, what do we do about law-abiding Americans who look like the 9/11 hijackers?

Can we allow them onto planes if they make other passengers nervous in their safe airplane seat? Asking them if they are law-abiding Americans or terrorists might get you labeled a racist, plus violent terrorists verbally identify as law-abiding Americans anyway.

I guess we might be stuck with shutting up and tolerating them.

We?

Not me, it’s not my safe space. You are asking the cis women to shut up, not me.

Not you specifically. But we, as a society, have decided that you shouldn’t prejudge someone based on their appearance. That goes for airplanes and bathrooms alike.

At what point do you think female Muslims will be allowed to use changing facilities where naked bearded/balding people who appear to be males are present? Remember diversity and inclusion? Here’s what will happen. The Muslimas will be excluded.

The end result here is a conversation has to happen. This is a practical problem too.

Legally, they are already allowed.

Whether they choose to is up to them.

Pretty sure men seem to be more concerned about what’s going on in women bathrooms than the women are. All this concern about us is strangely excluding what the majority of women actually want.

Shush, now. Men are talking. <–JOKE, just in case anyone missed it

heh. I got that one.

Really though. I’ve never seen so many men suddenly concerned about the women bathrooms. There is zero concern with the transgender group currently torn over which unlocked door to go through. The sicko, probably hetero guys trying to pray on women and girls in there, which is probably such a small number it wouldn’t even register on a graph, they don’t hesitate already.

Here’s the thing that I realized that made me finally understand that all of the stuff about transgender people is pure manufactured outrage with no basis in reality:
5-10 years ago, literally no one ever talked about transgender people.

Seriously. No one ever considered making LAWS about such things. It didn’t affect anyone. At all.

You know when we started talking about transgender people? When folks started saying we needed to make laws about bathrooms?

We started seeing such things exactly the second after the culture wars surrounding gay people were done.

Once the numbers flipped, and more than half the country supported gay people getting married and being accepted as normal human beings.

That is the exact moment when you started seeing folks try to make laws about transgender people.

Why is this? Why did something that no one really cared about suddenly become something that we needed to legislate? Did way more people suddenly decide they had too many or too few penises? No, that’s not what happened. The number of transgender people didn’t change.

What changed is that once gay people stopped being able to be used as a target of rage by the conservative machine, they needed a new scapegoat. They needed a new target.

And that’s what transgender people are.

They are merely a new target of the exact same propaganda machine.

And that’s exactly why it doesn’t matter. Laws legislating such things will accomplish nothing. They aren’t designed to accomplish anything. They are merely meant as an act in a cultural theater, to show that some politician is on “your side” against “people who are different from you.”

If you are worried about transgender people somehow hurting you or anyone, you are being manipulated. Because you didn’t care about them, until a few years ago. And it never hurt you to not worry about them. Because they are just a small number of people who just want to live their lives and be left alone.