Liberals also say and do stupid shit

Ruby Rose. And yep, google confirms that is her putting diesel fuel into a car that runs on diesel.

I do think Germany gets a pass however (with regards to regulating hate speech). The sad fact is that the limited purge during Nuremberg meant that the potential for a LOT of generational hate to get passed on is still present.

Yep. If any nation has a good reason to overcorrect…

As a German: While I am generally in favor of some restrictions on speech when it comes to Nazis, this law is not about that and was specifically written to target online fake news and hate speech. It is a badly written law, ripe for abuse as it leads to providers erring on the side of banning more . For example one of the first victims was the twitter account of the Titanic, an old and established German Satire magazine.

This law should never have been signed. We hope it will be killed in the near future. It just proves that the worry about these laws is well founded because it will be used to target stuff that should not be falling under this.

So apparently some people were in such a big hurry to buy the new Fire and Fury book about Trump that they have managed to make a 10 year old book about WW2 called Fire and Fury a bestseller again.

Okay, that’s kinda funny.

Had to link to this article, specifically the lead in picture :).

Does this perhaps belong here? Until today, I hadn’t heard about there being a bit of a ruckus about Sam Rockwell winning an award because some people somehow see that as an endorsement of the character he was playing and his belief system … ?

I dunno, the article cites exactly three tweets:

I haven’t seen Three Billboards, but this first tweet seems to be saying “Good for Sam, but I hope the HFPA realizes this movie barely scratches the surface of the issue”. Not a critique of Sam winning, but a criticism of a possible motivation for the film’s recognition.

Okay this one I guess is someone angry that he won because of the character he portrayed? I don’t know what that even means that time is up, but also not up.

I say this kind of thing every awards season about people winning for something when their more deserving works were overlooked.

I don’t think there’s any controversy here, just a badly framed article and one guy mad on twitter. If there’s more to this, there’s no evidence of it here.

A reference to the #Timesup movement, which is about ending abuse of women in the workplace. He’s, apparently, highlighting differences in the way black people are treated in the entertainment industry vs. women, and how much the current discussions around sexual assault focus on white women.

That being said: it’s a stupid argument. The idea that giving an acting award is a de factor endorsement of that character’s actions, or even of that work in general, is stupid. You’d think that people would be able to separate the actor from the character, but apparently not.

(Of course, given how the Hollywood awards work, it isn’t actually a straight appraisal of an individual’s work, but is often subject to a lot of politicking around the “message” of the piece. E.g. Crash in 2006. So, it’s not an entirely unreasonable interpretation. Personally, I think it’s a pretty stupid topic though, there are more interesting and important things to discuss even within that award show.)

Only if by “people” you mean a few random strangers on Twitter. And if that is enough to bother you, then I got bad news. Twitter users sometimes say really outlandish things.

And apparently, the Twitterverse right now is far, far more interested in Sam Rockwell dropping the f-bomb on SNL then this supposed controversy. So, yeah.

We should stop reporting on what random people on Twitter say like it’s news. One guy on Twitter does not represent everyone.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am ready for twitter to get off my lawn. And out of my news. Tweeting something doesn’t make it news.

This.

It’s part of why I fucking hated practicing “man on the street” interviews back in J-school. No one (should) give a shit what some fuckin rando I found in the park has to say about the mayor’s latest scandal.

At least with a “man on the street” format, there is a practical limit to the sample bias you can introduce. It’s just too much effort to go out and find the one guy in town with a really outrageous opinion on the subject. With twitter, all the crazy people are at your fingertips!

We often give awards to the good guys or heroes, but that’s not a rule or a reqiurement.

Denzel Washington won for Training Day, playing a dirty cop. You hopefully give the award to the most deserving actor or actress, regardless of the character they played and all about how well they played it.

Man on the street is the fucking worst.

I agree. I prefer “man in the diner” where it’s warm and friendly and smells like pancakes.