The thread where we ask Laralyn about Full Spectrum Warrior

Trying not to threadjack here, so I’ll start my own. Besides, Loyd’s thread smells like old people (no offense, Loyd). So I want to know about the platform stuff. Is the PC version still coming?

Also, DaveC wants to know what the release date is.

And there are a bunch of guys here who want pictures of you working on the game. They might have to start their own thread, though.

Links to any additional videos would be welcome as well.

I assume he means videos of the game.

Um, yes of course. What else would I have meant?

IGN released the full presenation. Not sure if this was covered in the other thread. :?

Presentation in 9 parts

For insiders you can download the entire presentation here. (high quality QT, 370 mb)

Looks excellent.

EGM editor says its xbox exclusive, as well as IGN. They claim that the Army wanted an easy way to setup in all places, therefore the Xbox was best solution. Of course I am sure the dev knows better than any of them :)

The movies still say “PC” at the end.

Game does look really cool. Graphics top notch. But I want more OFP and less Tom Clancy. Enough small squad tactical CS/R6/RS games… more OFP. OFP rocks. More OFP clones would rock. Make them more like OFP. I am done.

etc

Wait till Soldner comes out then, I know I am.

We’re still planning a PC version that should ship shortly after the Xbox version. The release date for the Xbox version is early 2004.

I was filmed for a “making of” video and I’m already worried about that seeing the light of day, much less pictures. ;-)

I was going to point at the IGN movie, so thanks for posting that link! The great thing about it is that it not only walks you through how the game works, but it features director’s commentary. No, really.

We are not very similar to the Tom Clancy games. Our focus is on realism and authenticity. Even your objectives in the game will reflect your squad’s status–you’re just one cog in a really, really big machine. One of our designers is an OFP fan, so we’re aware of its strengths, and it’s one of the games in our pile of reference material.

Why make (or play) a clone of OFP, though, when we can make something totally new? ;-)

Three posts from Laralyn in a row, none addressing the “what is she wearing?” issue. That does it, I’m buying Soldner instead.

Thanks, Laralyn, you’re the best! I did notice that PC logo at the end of the director’s commentary video (that thing should get an Oscar, Best Picture or something), but the only info I could find about the game was under XBox, so I wanted to see if something had changed since E3.

OK, now I have to go make a note to find and buy this “making of” video next year…

[size=2]I am looking forward to the game, too. Don’t have an X-box, but oh well.[/size]

Anyway, more importantly: Meeeee-owwww.

It’s coming to the PC as well. Are your raging hormones getting in the way of your ability to read? ;-)

It’s coming to the PC as well. Are your raging hormones getting in the way of your ability to read? ;-)[/quote]

Yes, per usual. :)

We are not very similar to the Tom Clancy games. Our focus is on realism and authenticity. Even your objectives in the game will reflect your squad’s status–you’re just one cog in a really, really big machine. One of our designers is an OFP fan, so we’re aware of its strengths, and it’s one of the games in our pile of reference material.

Why make (or play) a clone of OFP, though, when we can make something totally new? ;-)[/quote]

So will there be iron sights ala America’s Army, will there be vehicles armour? choppers? is it closer to BHD or OFP? What do you mean by realism and authenticity? graphics? modelling guns? AI? And how big are the environments? Ghost Recon Size? OFP Size? Raven Shield Sixe?

hmm…

etc

FSW is truly squad-based. You have to discard what other games called squad-based, where you play one of the characters, because here you control the men as two fire teams only. So you never actually look down an iron sight yourself.

That being said, our soldiers use authentic weaponry that is in use today in the Gulf and other places. The vehicles are built according to Army specs. The uniforms and equipment are exactly what the Army provides to dismounted light infantry squads. The soldiers respond to situations exactly the way soldiers respond to situations based on their individual training and their role in the team (grenadier versus automatic rifleman, for example).

Remember, FSW was originally created by the Army to train its squad leaders. They insisted on absolute authenticity down to a minute level. So as the commercial audience, you’re benefiting from nearly three years of intense government R&D.

I can’t talk about the size or number of the environments because that info hasn’t been made public yet. Sorry. :-)

Hey Laralyn-- the game has lusciously sweet graphics, and the control scheme looks interesting and innovative. But about the ai: how well does it work, was it tough to program, and do you have to lead your guys by the hand through all the twisty alleys? Just wondering how well that’s going to work. I could see that being a point of frustration for the player.

What about multiplayer? Will it be absent, or will it be done America’s Army-style?