The Threads Thread

@fashion_zombi on Threads. Add me and with our powers combined we’ll make Elon have a nervous breakdown.

Followed!

So far, this has kind of been my experience on Threads. I have hope that over time, the instagram creators who seem so empty and vapid drift back to that comfort zone and it becomes more of a Twitter 2.0 over time.

Yeah, on the AI side, I’ve used a bunch of their libraries, and continue to do so

For all the flack that Meta and Google catch, the reality is that they are a huge boon to small software developers, providing tons of extremely useful open source stuff that we couldn’t develop on our own.

Exactly. And so is their decision about whether to support ActivityPub - it could have an actual effect on their bottom line, in a way that open sourcing their tech doesn’t. Facebook’s value is in the user data it holds, and this would let others access a portion of that - there would be no way to stop a competitor scraping all the posts, the social graphs, etc.

So there will be business reasons dictating that decision - I can see reasons for and against it, but I still can’t see why they would declare their plans to the world (including their shareholders!) if they didn’t intend to go ahead with it.

A li’l reminder as many of us all sign up to give the scorpion another ride across the river: it’s in his nature.

I’ve found that my feed is really great in the morning and gets progressively worse through the day. It’s likely due to the fact that I live on the other side of the world from most people I follow, so I get a concentrated feed of their content when I wake up. Once I’ve seen all the followed posts, then it’s bikini girls and inspirations messages until the evening. I guess it could be worse though.

Reports from an internal q&a yesterday:

• 70+ billion impressions
  • 450+ million posts (excluding reposts)
  • 4.5+ billion likes

Also, apparently ActivityPub integration is a ‘long while’ off :(

Paywalled link:

And also perhaps some warning signs?

Not a huge fall-off, but worth watching I suppose.

My biggest impediment to switching full-time to Threads is the lack of web access. Having it stuck on a phone/tablet is a problem. I still use and prefer PCs.

Until you can get a following only list, I’m pretty much off of threads myself.

It looks like they’re making some progress:

Yeah I saw that, happy to be wrong.

Yeesh:

https://bsky.app/profile/mattseybold.bsky.social/post/3kpfsqfem2v2h

Meta removed all links to this piece from their platform, then removed links to all Kansas Reflector pieces. When @marisakabas.bsky.social started covering it as a tech censorship story, they removed links to her newsletter, TheHandbasket.Substack.com, as well.

Hmm… the head of Instagram replied to Popehat:

Still seems suspect, but at least they’ve realised it’s not a good look either way.