The Tomorrow War - Fight for the future and Amazon

Yeah, I noticed the thing about them watching the FIFA World Cup 2022 in December, and it would appear to be the most thoughtful and attentive thing in the whole script.

Oh, it’s accurate, it just looked like the Pratt family* wanted to settle in and watch the game, and for some reason a bunch of strangers decided to use their house to throw a Christmas party at the same time.

* the Forester family. Well, with only one R, so I guess it should be the Foester or Foreste family.

Spoiler alert

I do wish Spoiler Alert would quit with the exaggerated eyeballs. Sure it’s attention-getting but it gets old. In other news, this movie had one main gripe for me that wanders across nearly every swarm or mega-monster movie: planes and helicopters don’t attack from fifty feet up. They attack from a distance best measured in kilometers. Goes all the way back to the original King Kong, if you just fly around and shoot where they can’t jump on you you’re golden. I know, dramatic effect, but it gets on my annoyance bone.

In fairness to the movie, the future people actually did teach them exactly this, during training, telling them to aim for the stomach and the throat.

Oh, must have missed that.

In all fairness to the script, they got sent to the future earlier than expected and thus also couldn’t complete basic training on top of all that.

Also, the idea that they could only send people who were already dead in the future, so that’s why they had to send old people?

They say there are only 500k humans left alive. EVERYONE is dead in the future.

Anyone else getting a Tugg Speedman/Scorcher vibe from the poster?

I’ll chime in with a few others and say the game—er, movie isn’t bad if you go into it with the expectation of “90’s-style action movie.”

Oh jeez. I went into this expecting it to be dumb, but I was not prepared for the reality.

So very dumb.

The stupidest shit to me was the way the future soldiers refused to teach anyone anything about the enemies. Just a quick blurb about the head and abdomen being the best aim points during the non-training montage. That’s it. No pictures. No descriptions. Nothing. Did none of the vets that came back talk about it? They showed one in counseling that couldn’t remember anything but the clicking noises, but that’s not true for all the vets. Pratt remembered everything. The guy with the spike around his neck remembered. Someone from one of the waves would’ve talked. Someone would’ve went, “they look like D&D displacer beasts, but with armor on their backs.”

I seem to recall a throwaway line about how they weren’t showing images of the creatures because it would shock the public too much. Was that in there? Did I imagine that?

-Tom

You sure didn’t. That was the reason given to trainees and the audience.

I think the technical/thematic “explanation” is:

1. “we can’t show pictures becuase it makes people freak out/etc”. Implied “don’t worry we are going to train you well enough to do your job over the next week”/

2. Not even done with the first day: “Whoops alarm we’ve got to drop in prematurely shoot I guess we don’t get to prepare you insofar as we can prepare you in light of not telling you what we’re going to fight/etc”

But this is very flimsy. If nothing else Clawman and his merry band of warriors could have at least provided some quick tips because their odds of survival go up for every human being around them who is as prepared as possible for what’s to come, even if it’s just knowing where to aim (since everyone was a B+ or better marksman “because script”, this would have been super effective). Of course, that doesn’t happen because Clawman is super broody and also bad script.

I didn’t even think about the fact that Clawman remembered the future whereas PTSD guy didn’t. I assume Pratt did because at that point because the movie wasn’t even trying anymore.

It doesn’t even make sense. In the movie the world has been sending soldiers forward for a year and 30% of them came back. Someone would’ve told everyone what the aliens look like. There would be drawings and testimonials and everyone would know the weak spots on the aliens. It would constantly be on the news.

Gah! This movie was so stupid!

Ha ha, you guys are thinking about Tomorrow War!

-Tom

We’re certainly giving it more thought than the writer did!

I’m going to be honest, I started watching Infinity, the Mark Whalberg thingy, but I’m only part of the way through.

1. The two factions of the immortals are called “The Believes” and “The Nihilists”. God, just fuck off with this bullshit.

2. Dylan O’Brien plays the main character in the opening before he dies and reincarnates into Mark-E-Mark but this feels like it was a downgrade.

3. At the point where they explained that the bad guy is trying to destroy all life on earth with a Super DNA Bomb Thingy I got bored and drifted off, and I am unsure if I will return.

But I thought to myself “this movie features Wahlberg’s character - before he finds out he’s immortal or whatever - randomly forging the equivalent of some priceless ancient Japanese Katana and everything treats this as a completely normal thing, and then the plot shifts to a Super DNA Bomb Thingy, but it’s still less stupid than Tomorrow War”. And I kind of felt good about life at that point.

Lol I was wondering where you were going, but the journey proved worth it.

He could have just saved everyone involved the trouble and shot himself in the fucking head with his magic bullets that effectively prevented reincarnation, since you know, being bored of living was essentially his entire driver.

I mostly enjoyed it. I agree with those that say it’s a serviceable dumb action movie with pretty decent acting.

The plot was all kinds of stupid. If the movie had ended after the 2nd act, I would have been a lot happier. At 2 hours and 20 minutes this movie is just way too long for what it’s giving us. After the 2nd act finished I checked and saw was 40 minutes left, ugh, so I put it on pause and finished it the next day.

I’ll put in another vote for Battle Los Angeles. That’s a better Aliens vs. Modern Military movie and it’s currently available on Netflix.