The Top 5 board games of the last 5 years - 2022 Edition!

Yep, I just wanted to note that it had been discussed. Listening to a couple of podcast episodes dedicated to the game when it came out, it also sounds like it was pretty tough to get your hands on the core sets at that tail-end of 2016, too.

1. Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth 2019 Love everything about this game, its weight, the IP, the app, but mostly the core card draw mechanic: draw two, select one, the other goes on the top of bottom of the deck. It is hugely satisfying and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it.
  2. City of Kings 2018 A big strategic puzzler wrapped in RPG stats and skills.
  3. 7th Continent 2017 Survival and exploration galore.
  4. Gloomhaven 2017 Never finished, traded it away for 7th Continent, but it gave me dozens of hours of playtime. I have since downsized to JoTL.
  5. Obsession 2018 (but playing the cleaned up second edition) A big hit with the wife and daughter, may even top Viticulture as their favorite, and I’m thrilled they want to play a decently weighty game.

Please help me find duplicates and make sure we’ve counted your votes.

Alphabetical Game List

1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties
7 Wonders Duel: Pantheon
7th Continent
A Feast For Odin
A Feast for Odin:The Norwegians
Aeon’s End
Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Arkham Horror LCG
Aurelian: Restorer of the World
Azul
Babylonia
Betrayal Legacy
Beyond the Sun
Brass: Birmingham
Carpe Diem
Castle Itter
City of Kings
Cosmic Frog
Decrypto
Descent: Legends of the Dark
Dice Miner
Dune Imperium
Dungeon Throne Adventures
Dwellings of Eldervale
Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy
Empires of the Void II
Endeavor: Age of Sail
Era: Medieval Age
Etherfields
Ethnos
Everdell
Final Girl
Gaia Project
Gentes
Gloomhaven
Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion
Hallertau
HEXplore It: Forests of Adrimon
HEXplore It: Sands of Shurax
HEXplore It: Valley of the Dead King
High Frontier 3rd Edition
High Frontier 4 All
Imperium: Legends/Classics
Kanban EV
KeyForge
Legacy of Dragonholt
Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth
Marvel Champions: the Card Game
Mechs vs. Minions
Micro Macro: Crime City
My City
Nemesis
Nemo’s War
Obsession
Outlive
Pavlov’s House
Pax Pamir 2nd Edition
Pulsar 2849
Rangers of Shadowdeep
Reigns: the Council
Renegade
Res Arcana
Rocketmen
Roll Player Adventures
Root
Sidereal Confluence
Sleeping Gods
Sol: The Last Days of a Star
Space Base
Spirit Island
Star Wars: Destiny
Tainted Grail: Fall of Avalon
The Cost
The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine
The Lost Expedition
The Quest for El Dorado
Tiny Towns
Too Many Bones
Undaunted Normandy
Unfathomable
Villagers
Vindication
Wingspan

Voter List
Voter Positions Voted For
AWS260 1,2,3,4,5
geewhiz 1,2,3,4,5
Matt_W 1,2,3,4,5
moss_icon 1,2,3,4,5
Ginger_Yellow 1,2,3,4,5
ooomalley 1,
Hereafter 1,2,3,4,5
ArmandoPenblade 1,2,3,
NI1 1,2,3,4,5
newbrof 1,2,3,4,5
triggercut 1,2,3,4,5
Wendelius 1,2,3,4,5
DT 1,2,3,4,5
ledshok 1,2,3,4,5
thatdudeguy 1,2,3,4,5
Profanicus 1,2,3,4,5
Demolira 1,2,3,4,
Nightgaunt 1,2,3,4,5
dtolman 1,2,3,4,5
Dave_Perkins 1,2,3,4,5
merryprankster 1,2,3,4,5
arrendek 1,2,3,4,5
Chuck 1,2,3,4,5
_aaron 1,2,3,4,5
tylertoo 1,2,3,4,5
porousnapkin 1,2,3,4,5
malkav11 1,2,3,4,5
B_Dog 1,2,3,4,5
Kadath 1,2,3,4,
  1. Dungeon Degenerates Hand of Doom
    I fell in love with this watching Tom’s playthroughs. I played several solo back to back campaigns and had a ball. It was one of those games where I didn’t want to play with others I wanted to control my party and make all the decisions. Very much like a CRPG. The artwork and generally bonkers theme was icing on the cake. I’m sure it’s an acquired taste but I very much enjoyed it.

2. Arkham LCG
    I’ve played solo so far. I plan on getting my wife to play eventually. I love the theming and gameplay I just wish it was a little more board-gamey. I know I’m asking for Arkham Horror and that’s sort of the point of the LCG. So not a complaint I just think I still like the board and moving stuff around more so than just card locations. Even with that all the content and depth of gameplay possible make the LCG special.

3. Gloomhaven
    Solo and with the family…once. I know my son is up for another go my wife might be harder to convince. Three’s no need to elaborate on scenario 1 but it was a little disheartening for her ;-) The computer game now makes hauling it out less tempting for me too. I think I’ll probably try to get the family to start with JOTL first if we’re going to try again.

4. Betrayel Legacy
    Regular Betrayal at House on the Hill was popular with my wife and kids so this was an easy purchase. It ended up being much better than I expected. The legacy element suits it well.

5. Cthulhu Death May Die
    This gets added since it’s staring at me from the closet. I’ve only tried a couple times on TTS and thought it was some over the top fun.

I have a bunch of other barely played games that could have made it on the list. I recently got Middara and I think for sure it would make it but I just haven’t had time to play.

@arrendek
I made a mistake - I called Dice Throne Adventures - Dungeon Throne Adventures.

I fixed my original post

Not a problem, your update came in with the latest script run.

Ugh with these results! Ugh, I say!

@tomchick I’m curious why you don’t vote in these? I think in the past you’ve said something like “the main site is my opinions I don’t need to vote here” or something… or maybe I’m just making that up?

@_aaron @Matt_W @Nightgaunt And everyone else, do we think High Frontier 3 and 4 should be merged into a single entry? I know they’re distinct but I don’t think they’re THAT distinct.

Probably also the votes for A Feast for Odin and A Feast for Odin: The Norwegians. @Demolira whatcha think?

I will defer to those who know the games!

I’ve only played 3, but have read the rules for 4 and agree they’re pretty similar so probably OK to merge.

Merging is fine with me. I went with the expansion to fit within the five years, but it’s nothing without the base game to sit on.

Well crap, I didn’t realize that AFFO was from 2016. I may need to go update my vote. I’ll merge them just the same but I feel like maybe we goofed on voting on the base game to begin with.

Merged those two sets of games. I also changed my AFFO vote (since I haven’t played Norwegians yet).

You should change " Betrayel" to “Betrayal”, so it doesn’t come up as a different game.

FYI I did already pop that in as a synonym for the correct name so it’s counted correctly in the results. Thanks for checking things over!

I don’t think I see any votes for Gaia Project so just wanted to pop in and put in a vote for that :) Great improvement over Terra Mystica although I wish the art was better!

@arrendek and @Nightgaunt thank you for doing this.

Probably doesn’t matter but the title is Rangers of Shadow Deep.

I want to thank @porousnapkin for including RoSD. It is also my first miniatures game. It almost made my list, but I’m just starting out in it so it is too new (received it for Christmas) to fully judge it against my top 5. But everything porousnapkin said (super simple, very fast, creative outlet, dramatic fights) is true.

The votes are in and the winner has been chosen!

GLOOMHAVEN narrowly defeated Arkham Horror LCG for the best game of the last five years, as decided by Qt3. See more details in the second post of this thread.

Beyond the Sun = two first place votes and no others. That tells the rest of you something!

I voted for it!