The top ten movies of 2020

I didn’t, but I know about them both because of their directors and lead actors. They definitely belong on the “missed” list.

-Tom

I’ve seen Another Round. Straight-up wonderful film, with a career-best turn from Mads Mikkelsen. Reading up about the tragic circumstances during its production made it even more powerful.

I also watched Nomadland on Boxing Day, and think it’s absolutely essential viewing, so definitely seek it out whenever it hits digital platforms or your local theatres.

Very nicely done, @Rock8man.

The only 2020 release I watched here is The Rhythm Section. I will watch almost any movie with Blake Lively, this one is a bit meh though (Age of Adaline is better). The closest equivalent I can think of is Peppermint and the protagonist in Peppermint is so much more relatable.

No love for Palm Springs?

Ok, it is a silly Groundhog Day movie, only “sharing is caring”, and J.K. Simmons is always awesome.

It would definitely be in my top ten.

You kind of have to be an Andy Samberg fan to be into his Groundhog Day remake. And that’s not something I am. I did enjoy the JK Simmons twist though. Simmons is such a teddy bear.

-Tom

I dunno. I don’t hate him or anything, but he’s not a draw for me and I think his usual shtick can be kind of obnoxious if not handled with the care that, say, Brooklyn 99 does. I still loved Palm Springs, and I thought he was bringing a different, more enjoyable energy to it.

The prodigal returns.

Woo, lists of movies I should watch!
I’m especially curious about Possessor, the though of oldschool Cronenberg, today, is too good to be true.

I loved Color Out Of Space a whole lot as well, and I wish I could see it in theaters. Great to hear from Kellywand again, and I love that Dingus got his own award now. I still listen to old podcasts (Prometheus/Alien Covenant/Alien is a popular sequence), and miss him. And you two! Here’s to a hopefully better '21

The Vast of Space is a great movie!

But then The Color out of Space reminds me how dangerous are Tom’s horror recommendations. I saw Banshee Chapter and They Look like People thanks to him and those were true horror stories keeping me awake at night. Hereditary was too much for me, I couldn’t finish it. The same goes for Horror out of Space. It’s more of disgust that scares me rather than horror.

Okay, I guess I have seen more than 10 films from 2020. Some of mine I had mentally filed as 2019 releases.

1. Tenet
  2. The Devil All the Time
  3. The Vast of Night
  4. His House
  5. The Assistant
  6. Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
  7. Palm Springs
  8. The Invisible Man
  9. The Lodge
  10. Blow the Man Down

EDIT: Oops, you know for some reason I read this as “movies you saw in 2020” so big fail on my part.

That’s not how “top movies of 2020” works Scott.

Meh. :)

Honestly I didn’t really watch a lot of movies that came out in 2020, now that I think back on it?

Let’s all agree that the best videogame of 2020 was Heroes of Might & Magic 3.

I hated The Hunt. Absolutely loathed it. Craig Zobel confused his satire so completely that it wrapped around to borderline trash. But it’s an amazing showcase for Betty Gilpin. Here’s her first “you done fucked up” scene.

-Tom

Okay, good. I was hugely turned off by the advertising for The Hunt but was afraid you’d actually liked it and I’d have to see it.

I don’t care what the premise of your movie is, you DON’T TREAT AMY MADIGAN LIKE THAT!

I think Betty Gilpin makes The Hunt totally watchable. It’s an objectively bad movie, and she’s just so amazing it doesn’t matter. I would agree to a new law that said that Betty Gilpin had to be in everything.

Also, I have almost watched Vivarium like 5 times now.