The Trump Administration and Syria

Fox won’t even report it, and Republicans will claim it never happened.

Fox actually is reporting this, amazing.

The only thing surprising about this news is that it took so long to happen. I would have put my money on Trump blabbing state secrets within the first week at least.

Well it took this long for us to find out about it happening.

I’m pretty sure someone once forwarded a link to a New York Times article to Clinton so I don’t see what the big deal is.

My skin is way thicker than this.

Bob Corker issues a pretty strong statement.

The White House has got to do something soon to bring itself under control and in order. It’s got to happen," Corker said, according to a Tweet from Bloomberg reporter Sahil Kapur.

“Obviously they’re in a downward spiral right now and they’ve got to figure out a way to come to grips (with) all that’s happening.”

The problem is there is nothing that the President did that is illegal, or impeachable. It just a lethal combination of stupidity, arrogance, and ignorance. I’m not even sure what the senate can do.

It seems to me the only reasonable hope for the country is invoking the 25th Amendment.

Section 4.

Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

It is possible that Congress could pass a law establishing a office of Presidential mental competence and they could declare Tump unfit. Other than that we really need the cabinet to step up and I’m not holding my breath that’s happening anytime soon

Only one way to know for sure what Trump said… Let’s go to the audio tape.

Wouldn’t Trump be able to veto such a law?

Yup and you’d need 2/3 of the vote to overide the veto. So it’s harder than impeachment (you only need a majority in the House). Still, I’m not sure what you could impeach Trump on, but the case that he lack the mental ability to do the job is easy to make.

I suspect there are many Republican who don’t think there is a case for impeachment, but few more weeks like the last few…and a President Pence would look pretty attractive.

Make him testify under oath. You’d have grounds for impeachment in a snap.

He can and probably would invoke executive privilege.

At this point, we are getting to the point where it’s obvious that he is unfit to hold office. His incompetence is a danger to the nation.

Oh, I’m sure there are several in the Cabinet that are itching to step up. Not a majority though. Not yet.

Remember: Trump has no friends, only allies. As soon as it’s clear the tide has turned, you won’t be able to find anyone in DC who supports him.

Jesse Watters on Fox, “the story is the leak!”

Holy fucking shit, I hope this douchebag dies.

There’s nothing technically illegal about the president telling, well, anyone pretty much anything. Unwise, stupid, grossly negligent, etc., yes, but not illegal as I understand it, as he’s the ultimate classification authority.

Oddly enough, previous presidents, of both parties, have managed to not, you know, give away the store to any random wandering Russkie who happens by, but, hey, Trump.

As someone mentioned in another thread, a WHOLE ton o’ stuff needs to have laws put down on the books pronto, because the People can’t be trusted to put someone competent in the WH that can follow ‘guidelines’.

Well, for once, he’s absolutely right.

Trump is going to spawn a thousand informants, a choir of deep throats. He has too many enemies among non-elected officials, including the intelligence and law enforcement communities. None of those people give a damn about pleasing the GOP base.

This is month four of 48.

The White House and Fox are flat out saying this is a lie, but two officials are backing up the story.