The ultimate in vaporware

I went to CompUSA to buy BF1942: Road to Rome, and while I was there saw that “The Sum of All Fears” game was $4.99. Thought it couldn’t be too bad since it looks similar to the Rainbow 6 formula…

Didn’t open it for a week, 'cause BF1942 was occupying my time; opened it today and no CD, no jewel case or paper cd envelope inside. No game. Just instructions.

Nice. I hope they aren’t selling empty boxes for $4.99 apiece! I’m going back there and asking for a replacement tomorrow. Anyone had this happen?

Addendum for anyone who gives a crap:

I just noticed that the seal on the bottom of the box was broken. Looks like someone must have cut it open and stolen the CD at the store. Nice stuff… Hope they don’t give me shit about this at Comp.

Yea… that happens a lot. In my local EB’s I picked up FReedom Force and felt that it was just a tad lite. So I shook that box and no cd! I looked at the bottom of the box and sound that someone had sliced it open with a knive.

Now all the new PC releases are located in the back roon.

People suck.

Agreed 200%

I’ve got an EB near me that puts preowned stickers all over the boxes which really ticks me off with PS2 games and the like because they’re a bitch to remove… however, it definitely deters this kind of thing with preowned PC games. You can clearly see when someone’s been tinkering with the boxes.

Watch out for EB resealing those new PC games too. They have clear round stickers that match up perfectly with the ones most PC game makers use. I’ve seen a game or two that was sliced open and then resealed with their sticker.

–Dave

When I worked at Babbage’s, we were trained to use the heatshrink gun (think a super-hot blowdryer) to loosen those round stickers and peel them right off. We did this mostly when we “checked out” the games. Babbage’s let employees borrow one game at a time to promote employee knowledgeability of the product. I liked it - there are lots of games I kinda want to play but know I won’t ever want to see again after a day or two. That probably wasn’t legal, huh?

Note: This was about 3 years ago.

Also, we were trained to open CD cases (i.e., new playstation games) by peeling off the plastic and then sticking a thumbnail under the bottom hinge of the jewel case. With the bottom hinge disengaged, the front of the case flips up and you can remove the disc WITHOUT having to peel off the top label (the little plastic thingy that normally has game title and barcode on it). After we put the CDs back in the case we just re-sealed them with shrinkwrap. No one ever complained.

I accidentally broke the tab off of the bottom of the Wu-Tang Shaolin Showdown (PSX) cd case, but I didn’t tell my boss so it was A-OK!

That’s about the end of the lesson, i guess…

Software Etc. still let’s it’s employees check out games to increase their knowledge, AFAIK.

Yeah, the check out system was in place at EB when I was a manager there ten years ago. Of course, that was the cartridge era, when it was pretty tough to screw something up. We also had to open one copy of everything (much like EB still does today) in order to display it, so that was always the one we used for any borrowing.

I forgot about the heat gun on the stickers thing though. We had to do that back then too, though most PC games were still shrinkwrapped at the time.

I dunno, as a manager, I had to evaluate whether letting people take things home helped sell more games and sometimes it did, sometimes it didn’t. I bought so much stuff at that time that for me it wasn’t a big deal. However, we had a couple employees that used it well and others that just abused the privilege.

I only wish EB would adopt a $5 off standard or something if someone gets “the last one”, because it sucks to get an opened game. Half the fun is opening it up to get to the stuff inside!

–Dave

has anyone here not worked in a game store? :lol:

Not a game-specific store, but computer stores that sold games (and sold them to me at big discounts :-) in both high school and college.

I’d be surprised if anyone here did it longer ago than me… Anyone else used to sell programs on cassette tape?

I started work at “Programs Unlimited” (a long-dead chain) at the mall in Jackson, Mississippi in 1982. We sold the Vic 20, Atari 400/800/1200XL, Apple II+, and Kaypro & Xerox CP/M machines. The Xerox CP/M rigs used 8-inch floppies.

I still remember getting our first IBM PC in – we had to upgrade it from 16K to 64K. I was shocked at how underwhelming the performance was on this “hot new 16-bit computer.”

I failed electronic boutique’s psyche test. I think answering 75% of people my age have smoked pot and yes, in 3 months I am sure I could figure out how to steal from the store, were my downfall. So to all you EB employees - LIARS!!!

Once going into FuncoLand, I asked for a game - they had one left, the employee was playing it, the docs were creased, there were marks on the CD, the box was not gently opened, and I asked about the used price - he said, nope the game was new, only him and some friends had played it.

Oof.

When we sold games, about 1 in 500 came from the factory with no cd inside or a place holder clear cd instead of a game CD.

Chet

Back when it was new, a close friend of mine made the mistake of buying a Dreamcast at CompUSA. He gets it home, opens it, and finds that instead of the system in there, someone had stuck a Java book inside (the big heavy ones of course). He tried to return it to the store from where he bought it, but they wouldn’t take it back.
He ended up going to a different CompUSA, across town, to get an exchange. I for now on open EVERYTHING I buy from them before I leave the parking lot.

Not quite related, but while we’re swapping consumer warnings I find it’s an excellent idea with any new game or DVD purchase to open the case all the way so the cover sleeve pops open and slip the receipt in there behind the cover the second you leave the store. You’ll always know exactly where your receipt is when you pop in your game and find out it was scratched or your DVD skips chapters or whatever and you need to return it.
</Heloise>